What is with adults using youth guns to hunt turkeys?

TheLBLman

I'm just wondering how a youth sized gun properly fits most adults
It really doesn't have to like we've thought for more typical shotgunning.

IMO, you need a thumbhole stock and an optical sight to make this work well.

With turkey hunting, it's often more about holding your gun "aimed" in position for long periods more than it's about quickly shooting from a non-ready stance. The shorter, lighter guns, especially with a thumbhole stock, are much easier to hold steady for extended periods.

Also, turkey hunting is usually more about shooting accurately than shooting fast.

Personally, I'm shooting an adult-sized 20 ga, but do understand why many have gone to the "youth" models, as they are overall shorter & lighter.

deerfever

Lots of smaller framed adults that a youth model fits just fine. Some of them have inserts to add also as the youth grows so it may be a matter of just putting one in to make it fit. I have shot a Tri star raptor youth and a Mossberg Maverick youth. No issues at all with either while turkey hunting.

Willysman

I had a youth model 870 that I had bought for my grandchildren to use when they went hunting with me. Took it squirrel hunting one time. Didn't work for me but if it works for you then its a good deal.

Bgoodman30

I have a youth M2 20 which I got a 5lb gun and shorter 24" barrel. I have noticed no difference with the compact stock when I am using optics anyway. I hunt out west some and shaving 2.5lbs when your hking mountains all day is noticeably different.

kbradley

My wife has a short stocked (youth size) 20 ga. and I can shoot if needed but would I choose to ? No way no how ! I have a Charles Daly pump 12 ga. 3 1/2 " turkey gun . It is light and 26 inch barrel . I have run , walked and crawled through thick , thin ,wet and dry . Would not ditch it for nothin .To each their own .

MrClif

Even if your a large adult shooting form crouched up at the base of a tree enables a youth model to be used very easily. Less weight and shorter overall length are definite pluses in the turkey woods. If turkeys were shot from standing positions like most other birds they wouldn't as popular if I had to guess, but that just why I use one others MMV.

Latest posts