Food Plots What is this?

BSK

Sericea is the to the Deep South what Fireweed is to the MidSouth. Clear some ground and it is the first plant to fill in. Thankfully, our Fireweed is nowhere near as hard to get rid of as Sericea.

TRIGGER

Sericea is the to the Deep South what Fireweed is to the MidSouth. Clear some ground and it is the first plant to fill in. Thankfully, our Fireweed is nowhere near as hard to get rid of as Sericea.

This ground has been cleared for a very long time but it has not been tilled in over 30 years at least. Only cut once or twice a year from what the previous owner told me.

tellico4x4

I bought some Remedy to use with Gly as Mega suggested. I've only got it around the edges of some plots. Still don't understand why it hasn't spread but gonna try & knock it back before it does

Deer@Dawn

We have had success spraying 1% Roundup (generic works) on top. Spray light, sometimes it takes 2 sprayings about 1 week apart.

JCDEERMAN

@Popcorn @BSK @JCDEERMAN @tellico4x4
Guys will buccaneer 5 extra do the trick? I have a jug of this. I have zero issues with buying more chemicals but if this will work I already have it. Going to spray it tomorrow if it's not raining.
Short answer, I don't know. Never heard of it. Looked it up though and it looks like it's 54% gly. Someone else might be able to look at the label and know:

Another thing to consider was the time of day to spray. When I was doing my researching, I read that after a certain time of day, the pores in the plant close and it takes a lot higher dose to penetrate and kill. The stuff is the devil

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
@Popcorn @BSK @JCDEERMAN @tellico4x4
Guys will buccaneer 5 extra do the trick? I have a jug of this. I have zero issues with buying more chemicals but if this will work I already have it. Going to spray it tomorrow if it's not raining.
Buccaneer 5 extra is 53.8% gly Just a little hotter than most. It should work fine as long as the plant is pre-seed. Best time to spray is morning after the dew dries. The chemical needs a surfactant to make better contact with the plants photo cells. crop oil works and is less expensive, if you are mixing small batches dawn detergent works as well. The spray needs to dry on the plant to be effective, 1 hour will work, 4 hours of sunshine is great. Avoid spraying late in the day or at temps above 95 as the plant is often conserving moisture and has closed its photo cells.
Lespedeza is a prolific seeder and the seed may germinate same year or years later. It needs a lot of sun and does not compete well, Notice you see it on edges and spring up in recently opened soil. Spray it, mow it, out compete it with more desirable plants. Use a wick if possible, if not mix your chem at a half rate. Its gonna harm your clover but there appears to be enough density there to catch most of the spray before it gets to the clover. This September interseed more clover and either wheat or cereal rye and fertilize the plot. Out-compete

Last edited:

TRIGGER

Buccaneer 5 extra is 53.8% gly Just a little hotter than most. It should work fine as long as the plant is pre-seed. Best time to spray is morning after the dew dries. The chemical needs a surfactant to make better contact with the plants photo cells. crop oil works and is less expensive, if you are mixing small batches dawn detergent works as well. The spray needs to dry on the plant to be effective, 1 hour will work, 4 hours of sunshine is great. Avoid spraying late in the day or at temps above 95 as the plant is often conserving moisture and has closed its photo cells.
Lespedeza is a prolific seeder and the seed may germinate same year or years later. It needs a lot of sun and does not compete well, Notice you see it on edges and spring up in recently opened soil. Spray it, mow it, out compete it with more desirable plants. Use a wick if possible, if not mix your chem at a half rate. Its gonna harm your clover but there appears to be enough density there to catch most of the spray before it gets to the clover. This September interseed more clover and either wheat or cereal rye and fertilize the plot. Out-compete

"Mix at half rate"
Are you suggesting this so I can save the clover maybe? If so I'm ok with killing everything and starting over if it means I can kill as much of this stuff as possible.
My track record with herbicides is terrible so I'm definitely going to try to learn what I'm doing wrong from you guys.
First of all you have to be a dang genius to figure out what the label is telling you on how to apply and mix ratios with some of this stuff. I'm only working with 3-4 acres so I have a 25 gal utv/atv boom sprayer. Coop guy says mix this stuff at 2 oz per gal. I always mix stronger than recommended. Could this be my problem?

tree_ghost

Sericea lespedeza is the bane of Deep South deer management. It will quickly take over any open area. It has some value for quail, but about zero value for deer.
I've only seen one buck that ever cared for it…he would stand next to the feeder and eat the serecia. I guess he had a more adventurous pallet lol

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
"Mix at half rate"
Are you suggesting this so I can save the clover maybe? If so I'm ok with killing everything and starting over if it means I can kill as much of this stuff as possible.
My track record with herbicides is terrible so I'm definitely going to try to learn what I'm doing wrong from you guys.
First of all you have to be a dang genius to figure out what the label is telling you on how to apply and mix ratios with some of this stuff. I'm only working with 3-4 acres so I have a 25 gal utv/atv boom sprayer. Coop guy says mix this stuff at 2 oz per gal. I always mix stronger than recommended. Could this be my problem?
The 2 is rate is due to the higher concentration of active ingredient. Most rates are developed considering;
Required amount to be effective
Minimize over use / waste
Minimize voluminization ((fumes / micro particles)
Minimize risk to water and unintended

Increasing rate can ;
Kill a little faster
Kill a little more effectively
Increase waste
Increase voluminization
Increase risk to water and unintended.

I know people who use roundup at 1/2 rate or 1/4 rate to clean up their clover. I tried that once at a time when my clover was stressed and killed 10 acres. NEVER AGAIN!
If you are ok with killing all then use the standard rate suggestion BUT
YOU CAN ONLY KILL WHAT IS GROWING.

Using pre-emergent herbicide is effective mostly in spring and only lasts a few months at best.

My suggestion;
Save your chemicals
Mow this stuff short it's august and it's not gonna be readily regenerated.
Come September 1 spray with whatever you want. I suggest 24DB and clethodim to save your existing and re-emerging clover.
September 15 plant, drill in disk, broadcast, disk or whatever you can to incorporate a blend of clovers at 5 lb total per acre and 50 lb of wheat per acre and include fertilizer & lime if needed.

If you are successful this will be one of the best plots you ever had and you will outcompete most of your weed problem.
That lespedeza in the soil will be there for years and will show up.
Mow it
Wick it
If you must spray use clover safe adjuvants
Outcompete

It's not as bad as it looks. Put in the effort now enjoy the benefits and save in the long run

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
When reading labels know that it's a pile of generalized comments that are not in specific order as they apply to your particular need. When you read it and string it all together it can run on and become very confusing. Most of these come with a book so they minimize as much as possible in size as well as repetition and language. Read each sentence as a stand alone statement. Ignore the scientific equations if you do not speak that language it will only add to the confusion. Those books are often the least they can say legally to direct you and protect themselves. That book, the lawyers and scientists who created it are likely 60% of the cost of the product.

TRIGGER

The 2 is rate is due to the higher concentration of active ingredient. Most rates are developed considering;
Required amount to be effective
Minimize over use / waste
Minimize voluminization ((fumes / micro particles)
Minimize risk to water and unintended

Increasing rate can ;
Kill a little faster
Kill a little more effectively
Increase waste
Increase voluminization
Increase risk to water and unintended.

I know people who use roundup at 1/2 rate or 1/4 rate to clean up their clover. I tried that once at a time when my clover was stressed and killed 10 acres. NEVER AGAIN!
If you are ok with killing all then use the standard rate suggestion BUT
YOU CAN ONLY KILL WHAT IS GROWING.

Using pre-emergent herbicide is effective mostly in spring and only lasts a few months at best.

My suggestion;
Save your chemicals
Mow this stuff short it's august and it's not gonna be readily regenerated.
Come September 1 spray with whatever you want. I suggest 24DB and clethodim to save your existing and re-emerging clover.
September 15 plant, drill in disk, broadcast, disk or whatever you can to incorporate a blend of clovers at 5 lb total per acre and 50 lb of wheat per acre and include fertilizer & lime if needed.

If you are successful this will be one of the best plots you ever had and you will outcompete most of your weed problem.
That lespedeza in the soil will be there for years and will show up.
Mow it
Wick it
If you must spray use clover safe adjuvants
Outcompete

It's not as bad as it looks. Put in the effort now enjoy the benefits and save in the long run

Wow that's a lot of information from a lot of experience. Thank you

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Popcorn is the "God of Herbicides!"
Thanks but truthfully a little trial and error plus listening to some bad advice and fear of losing a very good paying job l figured this stuff out by making a nuisance of myself with a couple of agronomists! Still have to read it twice and I choose to err to the safer side of choices. The only time I seriously overkill is when spot spraying certain problems then I want to see results! Black in 24 or ima hittin it again! Lol

Latest posts