Food Plots What is this?

TRIGGER

What is this? I have clover in there somewhere. Can I get rid of this but keep the clover?
0F073066-E6D6-45A4-8EBC-D037934BA916.jpeg

TRIGGER

Join the club. I got behind a couple of years on a place. This is what I had. Mow it. Then start thinking chemicals.
I sprayed and killed everything growing in may then planted clover a few weeks later and now have this. It is cut now. My first real attempt at a food plot. Learning that I have a lot to learn lol

BSK

Sericea lespedeza is the bane of Deep South deer management. It will quickly take over any open area. It has some value for quail, but about zero value for deer.

Bucket

I hate Serecia. Had to quit tilling my West TN plots because there were so many seeds in the soil. Tried various chemicals and a wicking bar, but until I went no-till it kept coming back.

tellico4x4

Will it? That's kind of surprising since sericea is also a legume
You are right, it is a legume. Now I feel like an idiot... I have sericea around the edges of many of my clover plots, but none in the plots themselves. Been this way for years. The only 3 chemicals I spray are Celthodim, 24DB & Basagran & I assumed it was the 24DB that was keeping it out. Yes, I know what happens when you assume! Perhaps it is the Basagran. I obviously need to do a little more investigation. Thanks for pointing this out of to me.

MickThompson

You are right, it is a legume. Now I feel like an idiot... I have sericea around the edges of many of my clover plots, but none in the plots themselves. Been this way for years. The only 3 chemicals I spray are Celthodim, 24DB & Basagran & I assumed it was the 24DB that was keeping it out. Yes, I know what happens when you assume! Perhaps it is the Basagran. I obviously need to do a little more investigation. Thanks for pointing this out of to me.
I was hoping y'all knew something I didn't. Glad there's a group here that can discuss this kind of stuff

TRIGGER

Planting clover that late is a crap shoot at best. Much better success in fall or frost seeding Jan/Feb
Especially with the lack of rain I'm guessing. I'm new at this. After I finished cutting it today I walked it and there is very little clover in there. Looks like I will be trying it again in the fall. When should I re-plant it?

megalomaniac

Especially with the lack of rain I'm guessing. I'm new at this. After I finished cutting it today I walked it and there is very little clover in there. Looks like I will be trying it again in the fall. When should I re-plant it?
If you are going to replant, consider remedy plus roundup for burndown and elimination of the sereca a couple weeks before planting. I completely eliminated sereca in one of my fallow fields I reclaimed for wildlife plots a couple years ago with that combo

Latest posts