What can REALLY be done about CWD?

Creek

I likely will never have one tested.
How much trust does anyone have in accurate test results?
Maybe about the same amount of trust you're getting the same deer back you brought there to begin with.
To err is human.

iowavf

This was off a post on a website her in Iowa a guy posted.
Almost all the bucks we found have been hard horn. Some just died in November when it warmed up. Around 15 bucks so far. Our population is way down compared to normal I know we will find more when we start shed hunting.This is on about 1000 acres. The attached picture is just a sampling early on. This is in SE Marion Co around North and South Cedar Creek.
1703793182097.png

Bone Collector

This was off a post on a website her in Iowa a guy posted.
Almost all the bucks we found have been hard horn. Some just died in November when it warmed up. Around 15 bucks so far. Our population is way down compared to normal I know we will find more when we start shed hunting.This is on about 1000 acres. The attached picture is just a sampling early on. This is in SE Marion Co around North and South Cedar Creek.View attachment 209268
Those are all confirmed dead from CWD??

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
Sounds a lot like EHD in Iowa. According to the following 3-DEC-2023 article, EHD is relatively new to Iowa (first hit in 2012) and deer are harder hit by it due to less resistance in the population compared to deer in areas that have had EHD in the past.

The virus has infected deer across most of Iowa this year and is the most widespread outbreak documented by the DNR so far.

There have been reports of deaths in 76 of the state's 99 counties, and more identifications are possible during the upcoming hunting seasons in December

Edited to add: I didn't see the post just above before posting this. (I think I had the page opened but hadn't refreshed...)

Last edited:

deerhunter10

I am a little surprised we didn't deal with ehd this year. Not to hijacked the thread by any means. But as dry as we got. Probably the drought hit a little late I guess for major issues.

Latest posts