About done

huvrman

I've had ups and downs in the past. Have had entire seasons where I just had no desire to go in the woods, and didn't. But never 2 in a row. Wind the clock before chucking your stuff.

JeepKuntry

I've thought about quitting a few times. Tbh each year I travel outside of East Tn more. That seems to be good for me mentally. Lots of deer in other areas and while I rarely shoot, I enjoy seeing deer and wondering what they might turn into.

7mmWSM

Encore06 I've read your posts and watched you over the years. You've always been an inspiration to me with your challenges and you keep going. You've always been a tough son of a gun to me. Nothing ever got in your way. You're unknowingly keep a lot of us motivated to keep going. I hope you continue to show us no matter what to push on. Good luck bud.

TIGGREM2

This is by far the worst season in a long time !! Absolutely covered up with pictures of some fine bucks during july august and first week of September and now nothing ! Shot and 8pt during muzzy never found and shot an 8 pt and found that. Its just been a bad season !!!

tellico4x4

Know that it takes you much more effort than it does the majority of us, but you are a true inspiration. Also from what I've read over the years, you have some good friends that are willing to help & that's a blessing. The older we get the more challenging it becomes, but so does everything else we do. Hunting lifts my spirits more than anything else that I do.

Whenever I hear folks talk about quitting I think of Mr Yancy Brannon. He was the father of one of my best friends and a life long Florida outdoorsman. The last 16 years of his life, his wife of 76 years had terrible Alzheimer's which made doing anything away from home a real chore for him besides the associated heartbreak.

When he was 94 his son brought him to our club to turkey hunt for 10 days. Four of us did our absolute best to ensure that he had the best possible experience. We cooked huge breakfast each morning after hunt and wonderful dinners at night. All of us offered to guide him but he declined each time. All he wanted us to do was take him to a spot & let him do his own thing. All he had ever hunted his entire life were the flat land & swamps of Florida and he was enthralled with our hills. One night at dinner, he said if he was 20 years younger, he'd get him a pair of Nike tennis shoes and run these TN turkeys down 🤣! Unfortunately the only good opportunity he had to shoot was on a small clover plot one afternoon. He wouldn't take his shot as every time he'd get lined up on a bird, there would be another in the way. He said once if he'd pulled the trigger that he would have killed 3 gobblers!

Fast forward to spring the following year. He's now 95 and bought his NR licence the day they went on sale so he could come back to TN and hunt. 3 weeks later they diagnosed him with brain tumor and he died on July 1, three days before his 96 birthday on 4th of July.

As an aside, he survived the beach landing at Normandy. He was such a good rifle shot, that his Sargent made him the official "hunter" for their outfit. He spent a lot of his time in France hunting those little deer so they had fresh meat.

Have thought about him many times since, especially when at 69 I get to complaining about my aches, pains & problems. I really wished that he'd taken that shot and killed all 3 gobblers. There were plenty of us that would have tagged the other two birds. Legal no, but think it would have been the right thing to do...

Brother, if the pleasure that you now get out of hunting is not worth the effort, then maybe it is time to quit. That's a decision that only you can make and I'll be praying for your guidance.

Jerry Jack Winton Jim Mr Brannen BHC Turkey 2017.jpg

Mr. Brannon 2017 Bullet Hunting Club.

Last edited:

killingtime 41

I've thought about quitting a few times. Tbh each year I travel outside of East Tn more. That seems to be good for me mentally. Lots of deer in other areas and while I rarely shoot, I enjoy seeing deer and wondering what they might turn into.
I couldn't agree with you more. East Tn deer hunting can get depressing when you sit 5 times and might see a deer. At least if you're seeing deer it motivates the next trip. Very hard to go otherwise. I keep pushing on but at some point it's hard to get out of bed knowing your most likely not even gonna see anything. Use to see doe all the time. But since TWRA app got more of an audience. Lots more People have piled in and killed way too many doe's where I hunt.

Latest posts