were to sell furs

MRUTVOL

diggerak":19sivky9 said:
Been wanting to trap a few coyotes and beaver but can't find a market. Anyone have a place to sell?

Just dont plan on getting rich off the yotes. I went one time and said I would never skin another yote or beaver for what they give you. Way more trouble than what they bring IMO. Foxes and cats are what you want but are not hardly any foxes in county I trap in. Yotes took it over years ago and a red fox is like seeing a pink elephant...Rare !

bigdoc

We used to have lots of grey fox, but the yotes have taken over. That's why I trap them ever year to keep there numbers in check. There not really worth anything, so I give them to people that wants one to have tanned. The yotes are rubbed pretty bad around here, not worth anything.

Trapper

I used to sale local, but when the market got good I started shipping to Canada.It's a gamble to ship in a bad market but you still get better price if it sales.I've had some sit there for 3 years before it ever moved at decent price. The reason I started shipping was I heard the buyers talking on how much they would get for it , then I realized what I've been missing out on.

Stalker

Trapper":gml9qv6r said:
I used to sale local, but when the market got good I started shipping to Canada.It's a gamble to ship in a bad market but you still get better price if it sales.I've had some sit there for 3 years before it ever moved at decent price. The reason I started shipping was I heard the buyers talking on how much they would get for it , then I realized what I've been missing out on.

I'm just getting into some trapping. What condition do the pelts have to be in to sell? Just skinned and frozen? I guess what I'm asking is what to do after they are skinned that lets them last long enough to sell. Probably a stupid question but I'm just learning trapping.

Trapper

You can freeze them ,but to get the best money out of them it's best to finish them out .What that means is to push all the fat off and put them on a stretcher and let them dry.The reason you need to do that is it leaves you with more options to sell them and you don't have to worry about a freezer going out and losing everthing that you worked hard for. There is some videos out there on how to finish fur one of the best is Matt Jones after the catch. Hope this helps If you got anymore questions just pm me.

CATCHDAWG

Stalker, they have to be fleshed, stretched and dried before going to auction or sold anywhere for that matter. Tons of YouTube videos on how to put up fur. Used to be a few places that would take green fur (and might still be) but you wouldn't get as much for it. Of course none of it is worth much these days.

Trapper

While the prices are low take advantage of it and learn to finish it out .I'm not trying to tick anyone off but the last 2 local auctions I've been too there has been more green fur there than finished. If you can take in the Tennessee fur harvest state convention in October at fall creek falls they normally have demo's on fur handling .They have a website that might have the dates on it