Wanting to trap coyotes

BigCityBubba

I know this has been talked about allot on here but I am wanting to get started trapping coyotes. I am concerned about catching the neighbors dogs and not harming them. I am told I should get a catch and release pole or choke pole to help release animals unharmed while at the same time can also be used for choking a coyote out instead of dispatching them another way which may harm the pelt. Should I go with a basic starter kit or buy everything separately? I know with starter kits, they can have things in them that will never get used. If a starter kit is recommended then which one or if not then what all do I need to get started? Also, any recommended videos for getting started.

Smoke

There's more experienced trappers than me on here but I'll try to help with what I have learned. If you want to get a kit it just keeps from having to piece together everything you need. If I was going to recommend one it would be the MB predator starter kit from Minnesota trapline products. Everything you need right out of the gate. After you see what is included in a kit you can decide if you want to to buy everything separately depending on what traps you want. I recommend either the MB 550 or Duke Pro Series 550. You can get the Dukes a little cheaper than the MBs. Scheels has them for $14.99 a piece last I checked. You'll have to have traps, anchors, hammer for driving stakes, stake driver, something to dig holes and trap beds, (sodbuster hammer doubles for trap beds and driving stakes), bait and lure. Then some other things for setting like gloves, something to kneel on is nice, tool bags off Amazon make good trapping bags to carry your stuff in or you can use a bucket. YouTube is loaded with good trapping videos. Just type in coyote trapping and you'll have more than enough to watch. I like Coon Creek Outdoors and North American Trapper for easy simple sets. Doesn't need to be complicated. I use dirt hole sets, hay sets and pipe dream sets. There's alot of other sets you can use but I try to keep it simple as possible. That's about all I can think of off top of my head. Hopefully some others will jump in. Hope this helps a little and good luck.

wildlifefarmer

I agree with SMOKE. MB550 is my go to trap and the kits are nice but you may have some of tools already. I use a 5 gallon bucket with a cheap dove hunting belt attached to keep my baits and lures separate from my traps and tools. A catch pole is nice but most domestic dogs want your help. A coat, large towel thrown over their head will do. With the rubber jaws trap I've not hurt any dog or cat that I've caught, they are just sore as heck for a couple of days. Let your neighbors know that you are trapping yotes, hopefully they will keep their pets on their property. Good luck and have fun!!!

cm1021

I'll parrot what others have said. I run Duke 550 pros and held everything from raccoons to bobcats, and coyotes.

What area are you from? The biggest thing I could suggest is finding a mentor that could show you the ropes. I had a guy do that with me and it will cut down your learning curve a LOT! Tapping can get addictive and you can sink a LOT of money into it. Ask me how I know. Lol

TN Song Dog

Lots of good info and advice here already.

That MB 550 OS predator kit looks picy, but it really isn't. Saves you from having to buy all the s-hooks, j-hooks, swivels, chain stakes, etc all individually and then assemble everything. In addition to the kit I would get about 5-10lb of white trap wax blocks. Buy a cheap canning pot from Walmart for your wax and prefer using pure wax on traps after fully decreased. Don't really have to dye them the first season but would fully degrease and then wax them. Watch youtube for tutorials on cleaning and waxing etc.

The kit has some bait and lure, and you can also use other stuff like bacon grease. Meat trimmings also work.

Trap out away from the houses. Find areas where multiple features intersect like a farm road crossing a creek along a fence row or woods line. Different features intersecting.
Agree the catch pole isn't as useful as it may sound. I made one and never used it. Was terribly inconvenient to carry and always found other ways to deal with whatever situation arises.

Youtube will also help you learn how to make the sets. Dirt hole or step down dirt hole sets are a good place to start. The hay set smoke mentions is a good one to learn.

square

I'm a new trapper that just started last year. A couple of things I discovered. Look into a trap dip such as Dakota line or full metal jacket instead of dye and wax. Also, I like underalls instead of pan covers. Look at quick link's instead of S hooks

Farm manager

Peat moss is your friend for covering traps, #1.75 - #4 traps that meet the legal requirements can all work, quick links or split rings are super handy as are extension cables. Extra swivels in your chain can keep an animal from twisting out. Too much bait and lure can increase your possum catch. Joining the state and national trapping associations plugs you into a connection with some of the best trappers and information that exists. And you can get all the information and tools but hard work is what makes the most difference.

hammer33

You got some good advice here. I will add, my experience with duke traps #3 coyote soft catch has been ok but not great. After every coyote catch I have to take that trap back to the shop and "tune" it or fix whatever got bent so the trap will fire. IMO they aren't built heavy enough.
My experience with MB550's have been great. Get the cast or laminated jaws to be legal in TN. I got the 4 coil and needed a setting tool just to open the things so I took 2 springs off. (Now I just order the 2 coil)
My experience with commercial lures & urine has been very mixed. WAY more dig outs, and non target catches, plus a lot of spooking coyotes who become suspicious of the strange smell and won't commit to the trap. I think they have their place but I have MUCH better results with food based baits. My favorite is bacon grease or the goo from the drip pan in the smoker. Easy and free. Venison scraps work great too. Actually any meat based bait works pretty well. I have caught yotes on Venison scraps, smoker goo, bacon grease, a dead bird, mice, half a taco, and a road killed squirrel.
My favorite all time set is a hollow log, or a Cinderblock, small pile of logs/rocks basically any kind of junk. Put your bait in the hollow log, smear a bit of bacon grease on the top, then make your trap set about 8-10" in front of the opening. Yote will see the pile and wonder if a mouse is living in it, come to investigate, smell the bacon grease and investigate the opening. He will have to work the set hard to fish the bait out of the log/block/rockpile and its a good chance of a front foot catch.

Latest posts