Cut trap chain

hoyt30

Went to check traps yesterday morning. Evidently I must've caught someone's dog. Im pretty sure I know who it belongs to. This is my own private property. Well they cut my chain and took my trap with them. There is a leash law. These folks have or have had a goat, pig, multiple dogs that just run wild. I have talked with him before and he was asking about all my trails asking if they can walk on them. To even know I have trails they had to come on my property cant see them from satellite or anything. My response was no.
So they trespassed, cut an anchor chain, and stole my trap. Thoughts??

Attachments

• 20240123_083336.jpg
    20240123_083336.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 12

themanpcl

Went to check traps yesterday morning. Evidently I must've caught someone's dog. Im pretty sure I know who it belongs to. This is my own private property. Well they cut my chain and took my trap with them. There is a leash law. These folks have or have had a goat, pig, multiple dogs that just run wild. I have talked with him before and he was asking about all my trails asking if they can walk on them. To even know I have trails they had to come on my property cant see them from satellite or anything. My response was no.
So they trespassed, cut an anchor chain, and stole my trap. Thoughts??
Sad but not surprising....

tellico4x4

If I find a dog on our place and can identify who owns it, I'll contact them once. After that it's SSS.

Caught two dogs last year that belonged to same folks. First one was German Shepherd that I used a catch pole to release & got bit twice in process. Contacted them but didn't do much good. Caught their bulldog a couple weeks later and it wasn't nearly as hard to release 😉. I'm a dog lover and have two, but mine are under control at all times.

Do your traps have name tags on them as required? That's something you might want to consider before turning them in. If they are not tagged it might backfire on you...

Shanman

They trespassed and committed theft, two chargeable offenses…..but……how much is that trap worth to you? TWRA can probably approach them and get your trap back plus explain the leash law to them, best case scenario. As mentioned above, your trap is supposed to be marked with your name or TWRA id #, if not then you would be in violation. If your property isn't posted, now would be a good time.

rem270

I would definitely take it to authorities and get something going with it. Might not do much good if they go ask and the neighbor denies anything about it then it's pretty much a closed case then. But at least the neighbor will know you don't mind getting authorities involved. If my neighbor seen or heard their dog in my trap I wouldn't have an issue them getting it out. But to cut the chain and take the whole thing crosses the line.

Shanman

We have to remember that most people don't know how to open a foothold, most think trapping is illegal and are shocked to find out it is legal and that there is a trapping season. People hear their dog bawling and freak out, they panic and get all emotional, they cut the chain and take the dog to the vet with the trap still on. They get on social media and make you out to be a cruel villain, have seen this happen many times. This can really give trappers and trapping a black eye even though you did absolutely nothing wrong at all. Just do like rem270 said and see if TWRA can get your trap back and if they play dumb, maybe they'll start keeping their dogs up and you're only out a trap. Good luck and truly hope they respect your property lines from now on.

backyardtndeer

Do your traps have name tags on them as required? That's something you might want to consider before turning them in. If they are not tagged it might backfire on you...
I could be wrong, but don't think that is required on land sets on a landowners privately owned property.

Looks like bolt cutters were used. Whoever it was likely had to find the trapped animal and come back to cut the links.

tellico4x4

I could be wrong, but don't think that is required on land sets on a landowners privately owned property.

Looks like bolt cutters were used. Whoever it was likely had to find the trapped animal and come back to cut the links.

Didn't see anything different about private land, could have missed it though. Item #7 in the trapping rules just states that it "shall be tagged"

backyardtndeer

Didn't see anything different about private land, could have missed it though. Item #7 in the trapping rules just states that it "shall be tagged"
I will have to see if I can find where I thought I read that, and again I could be wrong, it's been a few years. I had never used any trap tags or IDs on my traps, mine are all on my property where noone or their pets should be. Guess I need to find out for certain if, or before I put any back out.