Anyone trap beavers?

Planking

If you don't like using a 330 use some bridger beaver foothold traps on drowning rods/cables. That's all i use. Beavers are real easy to catch but its a little harder setting for them than a dog proof trap.

mike243

I was entrapped by 2, this last time has been over 39 years lol. them big traps would make me nervous, I would rather shoot them if possible, we have a few folks on here who trap that will have some great info, if they come through so keep this bumped up for a couple days

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
Lots of you tube videos out there. I use snares, leg holds, and connnibears. It all depends on the area. FYI I use delta red lure and have had great success with it.

hammer33

Here is my .03
Snares are easiest to set up. You have to check them every morning or your catch could chew off the cable or tree its tied to. Find a slide they are using and set an 8" loop about 3" above the ground. They will be alive when you get there so plan accordingly.

Conibears are great if you have the right location. Beavers tend to shy away from them if they arent well camouflaged and blended into the proper funnel. They can be tough to use if the bottom is rocky and the water clear. I don't catch many on 330's for this reason.

Footholds work great. Drowning sets are best if you can use them. The creek I typically trap is too shallow for them to work. I have had poor results on dam break sets. The beaver shows up with an armload of sticks and mud which either sets the trap off, or they bulldoze it into the repair. Cross overs are another matter. Look at the dam and see where they are crossing over. Set a big (MB550-650) on either side of the slide just under the water for a front foot catch, or back a little deeper if you are targeting a back foot.

Shoot them at night from the bank is another option.

backyardtndeer

Get your self a few #330 conibear traps and get the setter tool with em . Then go on utube and watch how it's done. Have fun and good luck
I use 330's. You don't have to buy a setting tool, can use a piece of rope, actually just as easy imo. I do have a setting tool that was given to me though.

Never tried leg holds on beaver.

I have shot many. A ladder stand shooting down with a frangible bullet, really is kind of fun busting them on the water.

Latest posts