Trap wax

Remington700

I've always had to order it from a big trapping store. If you're ever on the west side I've got some I would part with.

deerdills

Pot of water to boil, decrease heat to simmer, add 1-2 wax block, when wax becomes liquid, turn temp down just enough to keep clear liquid form. Add traps, give it some time for traps to reach water/wax temp. Slowly pull trap up through the wax, which is floating on top of the water. Give a shake, hang to dry, or lay on cardboard. This is the easy, cost-effective method.
The other method is to not use water and fill the pot with wax. With this, there is a risk of getting too hot and burning the wax since it is in direct contact with the bottom of pot. This can put a burnt smell on the traps, which kinda defeats the purpose. Also you must stir a lot more and keep a real close eye on temperature. Not to mention you will use 10+ blocks of wax for this method $$.

jman 125

What is the method to wax your traps? I was going to simply boil my traps in a pot pot full of water with walnuts to clean them good and then then not sure whats next .
After you boil them and this is important make darn sure they are dry .
I use an old crockpot melt the wax in it and dip the trap slowly leave the trap in there so it reaches the same temp and slowly pull it out and let it dry and cool should just have a really thin coat. Its very easy but i will say its also flamable if you use and open flame burner hence why i use a crockpot

Trapper

Just what the other two post said but I will add if the wax is smoking it's to hot turn it down . Make sure if you go with dipping in wax ,the trap has heated up in the wax if it doesn't you will know by seeing it clumped up on it . As far as the Dakota dip I have never used , I guess I'm just old school and don't won't to change . Plus I bought a bunch of wax and dye on clearance .

Latest posts