Wanton waste/Quartering a deer

'borohunter

After hunting out west I really like the idea of quartering a whitetail locally but not sure if "legal". My questions is 1.) Can you quarter a deer in TN (and then process once checked in) 2.) What must you take of the deer for it not to be considered "wanton waste". I don't want to waste any part of the deer but want to be legal. For example, quarters, backstraps and tenderloins make sense but is neck meat and/or ribs required. Depending on the answer it may not make sense to quarter. Thanks.

mike243

There is no wanton waste law on the books in Tn, you have to leave proof of sex of the deer, if its a wma you might want to ck before the hunt as they like to get some info from them, if its in a CWD area I aint sure on any of that because I'm thinking they need to cut some glands out of the neck

eddie c

At one of the CWD meetings I asked if the gutless method was ok and the answer was yes as long as I brought the head in for testing. I was advised to cut the neck 6 inches below the jawline.

TAFKAP

TN requires you to check your animal as soon as you walk up on it and confirm it's dead. "Tag Before You Drag". Either use the TWRA "On the Go" app, or print off and carry a temporary tag. The app works in a way that generates a check in number even if you don't have cell service.

As for wanton waste, that law only applies to bird hunting in TN.