Deer licenses required

WilcoKen

What licenses are required to hunt private land (resident, non landowner, non wma) for each segment (archery, muzzle loader, gun)? Do not want sportsman option.

WilcoKen

If you go each segment, you're about better off with the annual Sportsman by the time you piecemeal everything
Understood. This just a question of curiosity as to the different license requirements without sportmans license in the equation.

TAFKAP

$33 basic license, + (3) segments @ $33 each = $132

If you add waterfowl or have the opportunity to set foot on a WMA this season, the Sportsman is instantly worth it. Piece of mind

TAFKAP

Removing the Type 094 non-antlered permit has reduced the need. But I started stepping out to small game hunt WMA's, and the first time I needed to pump steel shot into my shotgun, the Sportsman became a no-brainer. It turned into a nightmare trying to pay for WMA day use permits, I couldn't enter the waterfowl drawings like I wanted to because of the per-draw fee. It's nice to be able to hunt & fish anywhere in TN without any concern for having the correct licensure. Also, the 12-month cycle fixed any "well crap, I only get 6 months use out of this thing now" for people that buy in September, which is pretty common.

WilcoKen

Yeah. Another question. If a man buys archery only and only uses bow for entire season, does he still need to buy gun and mz permits to be able to hunt those segments (with bow only)?

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
001 ,009, 010, 011, and maybe the 094(for special season antlerless. There was a change made to that this year, so I'm not 100% positive on that)

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled

WilcoKen

Nope. License requirement follows the weapon, not the segment.
I will probably be done deer hunting by Thanksgiving. Waterfowl will be my focus after that. Probably wont use gun at all--any firearm used would be MZ, so I might buy that one to add to bow. I already have the waterfowl permits for TN. I hate to give them any more money than I have to. They've taken plenty of that and other things these last few years. Might use the MZ permit on Dec 3-4 since they took those two days from duck season.

swd

Yeah. Another question. If a man buys archery only and only uses bow for entire season, does he still need to buy gun and mz permits to be able to hunt those segments (with bow only)?
I would call your regional office to ask about that one. I understand it to be by season and not by weapon. I am happy to be wrong though. I buy the Sportsman. Not worth it to try to keep up with all of the different junk. At $170, it is the cheapest part of my season. I spend $500 on MS and at least another $200 on AZ every year.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
From TWRA Hunting Guide (I applied the bold font):

Resident Licenses
LICENSE
FEE
Hunting and Fishing Combination (Type 001)
Minimum license required to fish and hunt small game statewide
$33.00
Supplemental Licenses (Types 005, 009, 010, 011, or 019) are required and must be purchased, in addition to the Type 001 license, in order to hunt deer, elk, bear, turkey, and waterfowl or to trap game. The type of hunting equipment to be used determines which supplemental licenses are necessary. Annual Sportsman and Lifetime License holders are exempt from having to purchase these licenses.
Waterfowl (Type 005)
$37.00
Annual Big Game Gun (Type 009)
$33.00
Annual Big Game Archery (Type 010)
$33.00
Annual Big Game Muzzleloader (Type 011)
$33.00
Trapping (Type 019)
$33.00

In addition, the way I read the regulations, there are three archery seasons, two muzzleloader seasons, and one gun season. Archery seasons overlap muzzleloader and gun seasons; a muzzleloader season overlaps gun season. So, when gun season takes place, there is also an archery season taking place and a muzzleloader season taking place. A gun license is not required if hunting with archery equipment even during gun season since it is also an archery season.

The regulations are not always well written and sometimes indicate one thing while it was intended to mean something else. I've been wrong before because of this. A big example was the changes made this season regarding antlered deer limits. The guide indicates one thing but there was a clarification put out by TWRA that someone posted on this forum that cleared up some of TWRA's intended meaning.

Latest posts