So what is the official age for a kid to kill a deer?

Chippy

My daughters aren't quite old enough for the hunter safety class yet(even though they both are licensed for life) but my question is can they shoot one and check it in or do I have to check it in for them? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I've got a seven year old dying to smoke one lol

TNlandowner

My daughters aren't quite old enough for the hunter safety class yet(even though they both are licensed for life) but my question is can they shoot one and check it in or do I have to check it in for them? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I've got a seven year old dying to smoke one lol
While there are rules on children hunting, I believe they can check deer in with their own license.

Spurhunter

Apparently there is no minimum age. I saw a kid that didn't come up much past my knee and his dad at a store a few years ago with a deer on youth hunt weekend. The boy shot it with his Dad's 30.06. Heck of an accomplishment for such a small lad. The Dad was bragging that the boy had killed his first deer. Apparently my face gave away my thoughts because the Dad admitted that he held the gun and aimed it while the kid reached over and pulled the trigger. What a way to "kill your first deer".

TNlandowner

...the Dad admitted that he held the gun and aimed it while the kid reached over and pulled the trigger. What a way to "kill your first deer".
Do you really think the kid enjoyed the hunt less because the father helped?

Both my kids killed their first deer before they turned six years old. In both hunts, I helped hold the 243 win rifle to maintain safety. Afterwards, they helped me dress, hang, and butcher the deer. My son still believes deer meat has to be ground with a lot of bacon! We have great memories from those first hunts along with the many times together since then. I dread the time they want to hunt without me.... I enjoy my stand buddies ;o)

Chippy

Probably going to be getting a stand/holder for my grand daughter later this year. She's 5, and asking to go now and then, and my daughters 243 is still kinda big for her to hold. Planning on something like a Caldwell Dead Shot Field pod.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, I've got a 6.5 Creedmoor that I kinda thought has so little recoil I might let her shoot!

Chippy

Bought a BOG Death Grip for my grandson to use. I didn't get to hunt this past season and he is aggravating the daylight out of me to take him hunting. He just turned 7 and has his lifetime license, I have promised to take him shooting this weekend so we will see how he does off the BOG.
Yeah please let us know! That might be the ticket right there

Jcalder

Got my youngest on some jugs with the bog death grip.

Attachments

• ACAF10F6-58AA-4730-BA51-A471F0EBFCA3.jpeg
    ACAF10F6-58AA-4730-BA51-A471F0EBFCA3.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 95

Spurhunter

Do you really think the kid enjoyed the hunt less because the father helped?

Both my kids killed their first deer before they turned six years old. In both hunts, I helped hold the 243 win rifle to maintain safety.
Helping to hold and holding the gun, aiming, and telling the kid to reach over and pull the trigger are two different things. This guy clearly wanted to start his season a week early.

@Chippy I apologize for hijacking your thread. I shouldn't have posted that story. I'll try to use better judgement in the future.

Jcalder

Helping to hold and holding the gun, aiming, and telling the kid to reach over and pull the trigger are two different things. This guy clearly wanted to start his season a week early.

@Chippy I apologize for hijacking your thread. I shouldn't have posted that story. I'll try to use better judgement in the future.
I would guess your situation happens way more often than we realize. I'm not against it, but I'm not for it on the juvenile hunt. The juvenile hunt should be for the kids, not starting your season early. During regular season, I'm all for it. Not to be abused with excess tags either.

To the OP. There's no set age other than the juvenile hunt. There are some regulations on WMAs and minimizing age requirements for them to be alone, but nothing about minimum age to actually partake in the hunt

Chippy

@Chippy I apologize for hijacking your thread. I shouldn't have posted that story. I'll try to use better judgement in the future
No worries pal! You didn't hijack anything!

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
Probably going to be getting a stand/holder for my grand daughter later this year. She's 5, and asking to go now and then, and my daughters 243 is still kinda big for her to hold. Planning on something like a Caldwell Dead Shot Field pod.
My wife and son, he's 6 years old, both use the Caldwell field pod. They have shot a pile of deer using it. I highly recommend it.
I got a BOG death grip for Christmas. It's nice and solid, but it's a lot heavier and bulkier than the caldwell.

Latest posts