want to start reloading

7mmkiller

I have never done any reloading and im wanting to get into it. Being something i have never done, I dont want to dump a ton of money into it all at once. Any advice on how to start reloading at a reasonable cost. I dont want to go cheap but i dont want gold plated best of the best stuff. Any advice would be helpful or know anyone selling. Thanks in advance

DaveB

What caliber you thinking about as what you start with? I see 7MM but that covers a lot of ground.

You need reloading information. A book is best. You can get tons of information on line and free from places like Nosler, Hornady, Hodgdon, Alliant. You need to read read read as much as possible before starting.

At a minimum, You will need a scale, a press, a set of dies, shellholder, trickler, funnel, brass, primers, powder. Others please chime in.

TRIGGER

STOP NOW if you don't want to drop a lot of cash lol. I was in the same position your in now only two weeks ago. I will admit that I dive in head first into anything I do and tend to go with better stuff because I hate buying things twice (low end and then deciding it's not good enough). In only two weeks I'm in it around 2k with another 600 on my "wish list" at mid south shooters supply. I only have enough to load 2 different calibers. I still need powder,bullets,primers,shell holders and cases for my other 4 rifles I want to reload for. All of this is for rifle only lol. I have loaded exactly 13 rounds. Again I will admit that I have probably the most expensive rifle to reload for 50BMG that requires its own press,primers and case tooling.
I have realy enjoyed learning about reloading and setting things up so far and can't wait to turn a bunch of rounds out and shooting them. I am not getting into it to save money but to have a new hobby that helps with my other hobbys (hunting/shooting)

7mmkiller

thanks Dave for the P.M and the information that you have given to me. I will add the online information on here as well in case anyone reads this and is, like myself wanting to get into reloading.

Trigger
I am the same way and my fiance hates it. I dive into everything i do head first then slowly back myself out. Luckily I have been want to do this for a long time,then i'll talk myself out of it, then back into it.It has been a vicious cycle. My fiance is a hunter as well, so she might understand when i start loading for her and her father and use the excuse of saving money.
And i have never shot a 50BMG so when you get all your loads figured and get ready to test them, I might be free to help send a few rounds down range. LOL

Thanks again guys and anyone else have any information feel free to share

TRIGGER

7mmkiller":3r1xw6is said:
thanks Dave for the P.M and the information that you have given to me. I will add the online information on here as well in case anyone reads this and is, like myself wanting to get into reloading.

Trigger
I am the same way and my fiance hates it. I dive into everything i do head first then slowly back myself out. Luckily I have been want to do this for a long time,then i'll talk myself out of it, then back into it.It has been a vicious cycle. My fiance is a hunter as well, so she might understand when i start loading for her and her father and use the excuse of saving money.
And i have never shot a 50BMG so when you get all your loads figured and get ready to test them, I might be free to help send a few rounds down range. LOL

Thanks again guys and anyone else have any information feel free to share

I have some factory ammo left and always enjoy shooting come on out.

7mmkiller

DaveB":lqmw5v3e said:
What caliber you thinking about as what you start with? I see 7MM but that covers a lot of ground.

You need reloading information. A book is best. You can get tons of information on line and free from places like Nosler, Hornady, Hodgdon, Alliant. You need to read read read as much as possible before starting.

At a minimum, You will need a scale, a press, a set of dies, shellholder, trickler, funnel, brass, primers, powder. Others please chime in.

looking at reloading 7mm, 30-06,7mm-08, 40cal. and 9mm. That should cover the fiance and dad, son and I. LOL

sll

#1 answer to the response of anyone looking to getting in to reloading because of cost savings expected over buying factory ammo........."you will not save any money unless you do a LOT of shooting every year". It is a fun and addicting hobby to have, and produce more accurate ammo than factory offerings, but it can also be one of the biggest pains in the rear also if you are an anal (perfectionist) person.

7mmkiller

Thanks for the info. I have always thought it was interesting. I would like to save money but I think it would be more of a hobby than a money saver. I want to do more shooting and get my kids involved now that their getting a little older.

7mmkiller

For the over protective parents out there... Get them involved more with shooting, not reloading themselves.

Latest posts