Food Plots Waited too long..

BSK

Man that's horrible. It's not pleasant when you put so much into something just to watch it wither and die.
Yup, three long days of work and about $1,200 in seed. I'll reseed and pull a chain harrow over plots once it looks like real rain coming, but I won't use the full complement of seed I did the first time, considering the short growing season left. Probably just wheat and crimson clover.

hitek7

Yup, three long days of work and about $1,200 in seed. I'll reseed and pull a chain harrow over plots once it looks like real rain coming, but I won't use the full complement of seed I did the first time, considering the short growing season left. Probably just wheat and crimson clover.
I have bought bags of wheat seed and that is all I will touch up my fields with. Have a bag of clover as well.

BSK

I have bought bags of wheat seed and that is all I will touch up my fields with. Have a bag of clover as well.
Yup, that's what I'm going to go with. I'll pass on the Buckwheat and Austrian Winter Peas. Not enough growing season left for the Buckwheat, and Winter Peas don't germinate well if just broadcast on the surface of the ground. Wheat and crimson clover do OK if just broadcast.

TNTreeman

Yup, that's what I'm going to go with. I'll pass on the Buckwheat and Austrian Winter Peas. Not enough growing season left for the Buckwheat, and Winter Peas don't germinate well if just broadcast on the surface of the ground. Wheat and crimson clover do OK if just broadcast.
I've got some property in College Grove that's got some very fertile ground with a nice creek running through it. My son had a great garden out there this year and planted Buckwheat as a cover crop. He's got bees out nearby and he says they are all over that BW. I didn't know it was that attractive to them. Deer , Turkey, bees, Ground Hawgs are all in it.

BSK

It will be interesting to see if we get anything out of this Thursday morning and Sunday morning possibility of rain. Some of the models say "a little" others say "nothing at all."

BSK

And now that predicted rain is fading out of the models. Honestly, I'm getting very down about this.

I went back and looked at past trail-camera pictures, and it was in 2019 that we got no rain from mid-August until mid-October. I didn't plant my plots until Oct. 20. By opener of MZ they were up just a few inches. But they did come up and grow.

Bgoodman30

IMG_4372.JPG

Here are the crows eating what's left of the plot I sowed several weeks ago... Mother natures a real b!tch sometimes...

Latest posts