Food Plots is it too late?

348Winchester

Probably not. The temperatures look good for about a week. It's moisture that is critical. If it gets a lot of sun exposure that will help in sprouting. Rye would be the better of the two for it is more cold hardy.

DoubleRidge

I recently heard a university study quoted as saying cereal rye will germinate as low as 35 or 36 degrees....and on the warm sunny afternoons in the 50s it will actually grow through winter....also cereal rye is more tolerant of poor pH than wheat.....so with moisture and the current mild temps we're having both the wheat and cereal rye should germinate ....and the last we purchased wheat was $15.49 and cereal rye was $20.

megalomaniac

What's the soil condition? If it's hardpan I would at least scratch the ground to get a little seed to soil contact. Otherwise I do think you will lose 90% to seed predators.

As far as temps, it's not ideal to plant this late, but with the warm temps forecast, it should germinate and grow. But big gamble we don't get a hard freeze to kill it in east Tn before it gets established.

At least you don't have to worry about armyworms this late :)

Bgoodman30

What about now? Ive got 2 bags sitting in my garage... I hate to intrude this time of year though.

Bgoodman30

Put it down... may do nothing except feed the birds, but not worth holding onto till next fall IMO... I want fresh seed when I'm planting

Welp just planted my last plot on November 3rd. Might not be worth a damn until February but at least it will feed something.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
If you got seed to soil it will be up and growing next week any fresh tender growth will be an attractant and food source. Long range weather trends are in your favor with a mild fall and possibly mild beginning for winter. It should be great for late season when bucks are looking to build back what they run off during the rut.

Bgoodman30

If you got seed to soil it will be up and growing next week any fresh tender growth will be an attractant and food source. Long range weather trends are in your favor with a mild fall and possibly mild beginning for winter. It should be great for late season when bucks are looking to build back what they run off during the rut.
Yep the pictures I have of the deer in January hammering a plot I plotted last October is what motivated me .

Latest posts