Food Plots is it too late?

Bgoodman30

I wonder... if you legitimately top sowed wheat with the intentions of growing a wildlife plot, the doves found it... could you shoot the doves legally?

Yes you can as long as its only sowed one time.. They may be able to get you on the fact that top sowing winter wheat in November isn't a "normal" agriculture practice

Here it is from the TWRA guide and UT ag ext.

"There are many agricultural operations and procedures that normally occur in Tennessee in late summer or fall. The Latin words "bona fide" included in the hunting regulations mean in good faith or without fraud. Normal agricultural planting or harvesting includes many factors such as time of year, rates of application, methods, seed source, equipment efficiency, etc. Federal Court rulings define normal agricultural planting or harvesting as having as its primary goal the growth and harvesting of a crop - not the enticement of migratory birds. Merely imitating agriculture as a ruse to circumvent the regulations is not acceptable. Questions about what constitutes normal agricultural planting or harvesting practices should be addressed to the University of Tennessee Agricultural Extension Service."

"wheat, forage cool-season annual 120-180 (2-3 bu) 1-2 ---- Aug 15-Nov 1 Seed in September only if fall grazing is expected. Seed in October for grain/spring grazing. Select awnless varieties for wildlife. wheat, grain cool-season annual 1.2-1.5 million plants per acre 1-1½, not to exceed 2 ---- Oct 15-Nov 10 Up seeding rate by 30-50"

So they could technically they could get me for hunting over a field sowed Nov 3... No worries no dove hunting will take place but man there is a pile of them...

deerhunter10

And that something would be doves..... I'll add a seed drill on the list of wants...
Best thing we ever switched to. Love turning dirt and the process. But a drill is something we have fell in love with. Especially this year with the drought hitting so hard we didn't bush hog any of our plots just sprayed and all of that residue held the moisture in. Our plots look really good. Will also get you out of a bind in wet years as well.

Latest posts