Food Plots Sometimes it just happens…

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I have posted some great pictures of this plot in the past. Balansa clover waist deep and cereal rye. For 2 years now I have not planted a seed in it, I spray kill it in late July, I burn it in august and in September it is our dove field.
Then in October the balansa returns on its own, this year it's beautiful!
IMG_1789.jpeg
IMG_1790.jpeg

lafn96

Just spread a bunch of balansa in two low areas I have that stay pretty wet year round. Got good germination, but the majority of it is only a few inches high after 7 weeks. Any suggestions?

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Just spread a bunch of balansa in two low areas I have that stay pretty wet year round. Got good germination, but the majority of it is only a few inches high after 7 weeks. Any suggestions?
Clover is affected by the weather even if there is moisture, heat and dry air will slow it if not stress it. Fertilize with 6-24-24, do a soil test to determine if lime is required. Amend and be patient. Your clover will need to establish a healthy root system before it will flourish. Fall and winter are perfect for establishing clover that will last because to cool dry weather promotes root development before fodder. This makes the plant more likely to resist heat and drought related stress

lafn96

Clover is affected by the weather even if there is moisture, heat and dry air will slow it if not stress it. Fertilize with 6-24-24, do a soil test to determine if lime is required. Amend and be patient. Your clover will need to establish a healthy root system before it will flourish. Fall and winter are perfect for establishing clover that will last because to cool dry weather promotes root development before fodder. This makes the plant more likely to resist heat and drought related stress
Thank you!

eyeseeker

I just ordered some for a plot that needs to be replanted. My plan is to lightly disc on Sunday and spread immediately after before the rain Mon/Tues. This plot Is usually very dry so I'm hoping the deeper root system will help it persist where others have failed....thoughts ?

megalomaniac

I just ordered some for a plot that needs to be replanted. My plan is to lightly disc on Sunday and spread immediately after before the rain Mon/Tues. This plot Is usually very dry so I'm hoping the deeper root system will help it persist where others have failed....thoughts ?
Balansa doesn't love very dry soils, esp those that are dry and sandy... in fact, one of it's strengths is that it is the most tolerant clover of wet soils. It can even handle brief periods of flooding. I would probably favor annual crimson clover over Balansa in very dry soils.

BSK

Balansa doesn't love very dry soils, esp those that are dry and sandy... in fact, one of it's strengths is that it is the most tolerant clover of wet soils. It can even handle brief periods of flooding. I would probably favor annual crimson clover over Balansa in very dry soils.
This. Crimson handles terrible soils very well. And if you allow crimson to bloom out in late spring (mid-May), and then mow it (but DON'T turn the ground) it reseeds itself amazingly well. The plot pictured below was not seeded this year. All of the clover is volunteer clover from natural reseeding.

Attachments

• plots43.jpg
    plots43.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts