Food Plots Loving it!

megalomaniac

I'm extremely pleased with this plot this year. 2.25 acres, It's poorly drained, completely failed last fall after it went underwater a few days after drilling. pH is 8.1 from all the standing water and soluble salts precipating out when it dries out. No way to correct this unless I put tiles in, a weir to drain into, then a pump in the bottom of the weir to get the water back up to the surface to drain outside the plot.

Planted it this summer in sorgham and millet, did well. Bushhogged the middle 1.5 acres and left 15yards or so of standing sorgham and millet around the plot for late food and security cover. Sprayed the bushhogged area with gly 10d later.

Drilled it 2nd wk of Sept with 50lbs wheat/ 3lbs Balansa/ 3lbs Buckwheat/ 3lbs winter peas/ 3lbs radishes/ 1lb turnips per acre.

Few light rains on it in early Sept, none till 1st week of Oct, then 2 more light rains. Fertilized with 100lbs 20-10-10 3rd week of Oct and it really popped. Radishes should be triple the size they are if we had normal moisture, but considering the conditions of the high pH of the soil and the drought, I'm thrilled.

This 80ac farm had 5 deer on it when I bought it 4y ago. It's now holding 25 does and 10 to 15 bucks are using it. This will be the first year in a decade I'm actually going to be able to target and shoot does!

Only downside... GPS on the tractor was acting up so had to drill it by eyeballing it. You can really see the spots missed with the drill!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221110_075203_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20221110_075203_Messages.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 117

Latest posts