Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Cumberland City area, 25 acres of corn obliterated
IMG_1237.jpeg
IMG_1235.jpeg

I guess the ducks won't mind if I plant millet

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
WOW! Looks like it's time to thin the herd, especially the does. What has antlerless kill looked like in and around this area over last 5 years?
We take several but it changes annually. The neighbors are largely antler hunters.
Yep it's deer, looks like a dog park in a big city at dusk. They pour down off the hill and run and play and all have a wonderful time.
The other 60 acres was replanted so not as sweet yet and so far they are focused on the early corn after they destroyed 30 acres of beans and summer blend.
I would guess it would be appropriate to take 35 or more a year.

Omega

We take several but it changes annually. The neighbors are largely antler hunters.
Yep it's deer, looks like a dog park in a big city at dusk. They pour down off the hill and run and play and all have a wonderful time.
The other 60 acres was replanted so not as sweet yet and so far they are focused on the early corn after they destroyed 30 acres of beans and summer blend.
I would guess it would be appropriate to take 35 or more a year.
Apply for a depredation permit, I'll come by and help.

TNTreeman

I sprayed my corn today, it's about 4" tall. We've had a lot of rain and the weeds were bad. The deer picked through the grass and weeds and ate the tops of my corn. When the gly kicks in the corn will really be exposed and I'm afraid they will hammer it more. Hopefully I'll hit it with some fertilizer soon and that usually keeps them away for awhile .

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Interesting note: The 25 acres is out of about 88 acres of corn, 26 acres of beans (completely eradicated) and 10 acres of eagle seeds summer buffalo blend. We planted early this year, finished in the mud of spring rains. The corn came up but it kept raining and thes duck holes are designed to hold water so all but this 25 acres was drowned out and had to be replanted. The 2nd planting is in tassel and ear stage now and is getting some browse but not wiped out. They have continued to hammer the 25 acres that survived the early planting. All I can figure is higher sugar maybe?

ADR

Interesting note: The 25 acres is out of about 88 acres of corn, 26 acres of beans (completely eradicated) and 10 acres of eagle seeds summer buffalo blend. We planted early this year, finished in the mud of spring rains. The corn came up but it kept raining and thes duck holes are designed to hold water so all but this 25 acres was drowned out and had to be replanted. The 2nd planting is in tassel and ear stage now and is getting some browse but not wiped out. They have continued to hammer the 25 acres that survived the early planting. All I can figure is higher sugar maybe?
I have heard farmers in high hog density areas talk about how hogs are selective to certain varieties of corn. They would even plant test plots of different varieties to see which they preferred. I can only surmise that deer would be similar.

Latest posts