Food Plots Update, July 5: Clover Plot: Mow it or leave it alone?

BLC

We've had 1 1/4" rain the past few days.
The ground is too wet to run a tractor over this but I could mow this acre or so with my zero turn at about 4" high pretty quick.
Would you mow it or leave it be?
IMG_0676.jpeg
IMG_0677.jpeg

Ski

Will it recover if I cut it to 4" now?

Maybe try a short strip or two with your mower as an experiment? If it hinders the clover then you'll have not lost much of anything, and if it takes it well then you'll know you're safe next time. I'm always playing around with stuff like that because I'm stubbornly curious and have to know.

BSK

Maybe try a short strip or two with your mower as an experiment? If it hinders the clover then you'll have not lost much of anything, and if it takes it well then you'll know you're safe next time. I'm always playing around with stuff like that because I'm stubbornly curious and have to know.
This is great advice. Mow some strips but not all of it. Use the strips as an experiment.

JCDEERMAN

I'd personally leave it. Some weeds aren't a bad thing. My main concern is stressing it right before the hottest part of the summer.

For future reference, Dr. Craig Harper sprays once in spring with Imazethapyr and Clethodim to control those broadleaf and grass weeds….then mows late summer/early fall. Imazethapyr is soil active and he uses it sometimes in early fall to control incoming cool season weeds

JCDEERMAN

Experiment it will be…
JCDEERMAN, I will look into those spray recommendations for next spring.
As the photos indicate, I mowed 1/2 and left the other as is.
Trial and error is always good, as different areas perform different. I had given up on perennial clover plots for years, but that was 10-15 years ago. Much more information is available now on it and maintaining it. Go with trusted sources. Dr. Craig Harper is the man. Best of luck - please keep us updated.

BSK

Trial and error is always good, as different areas perform different. I had given up on perennial clover plots for years, but that was 10-15 years ago. Much more information is available now on it and maintaining it. Go with trusted sources. Dr. Craig Harper is the man. Best of luck - please keep us updated.
I have a ridge-and-hollow hardwood property client that has had excellent results with Durano Clover in their ridge-top plots in summer. But dang, the cost of that seed!

Latest posts