Food Plots How long does seed last?

rem270

I ran across some buck forage oats at rural king earlier, half price of what I gave for it a couple months ago. How long would it last if I bought more now and kept it for next year? It would be in a climate controlled environment the whole time.

megalomaniac

If climate controlled you will go from approx 80% germination from this years seed down to 60% germination next year. But this is just a generalization... you could end up with 80% germination next year all the way down to 10% germination. At half off... may be worth the risk if you can store it climate controlled and away from bugs and mice and roughly double the seeding rate to be safe.

rem270

If climate controlled you will go from approx 80% germination from this years seed down to 60% germination next year. But this is just a generalization... you could end up with 80% germination next year all the way down to 10% germination. At half off... may be worth the risk if you can store it climate controlled and away from bugs and mice and roughly double the seeding rate to be safe.
Think I'm going to chance it. It's growing really good where I have it now and I'll replant next year where it is now and then a few more plots at my other property. Plan to store it in a tote until I use it.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I keep all my seed in a rubbermaid tote in a cool dry area of my basement. I will buy up clearance seed at TSC at end of season for pennies on the dollar. This 1 acre food plot was done in 2016 with Biologic Green Patch, seed was test date 2008. I also did a few plots 2 years ago with seed from 2012 & 2014 test dates with no issues. I'm sure some didn't grow, but I feel like it's a pretty solid set up that has worked for me over the years. Like FISH said, a freezer will help too.

1663065906153.jpeg

deerhunter10

When we plant sunflowers. A bag last 3 or 4 years usually. We freeze them. Never seen a difference. That's the only seed we have ever had left over or tried.

BSK

Nature has designed seeds to be pretty tough. Germination rates go down over time, but never discount how "self-contained' seeds are. I've read several research projects in old-growth forest regions where, after timber removal/thinning, plants appeared that hadn't been seen in 100 years. The seed had been sitting dormant in the ground all that time until sunlight finally triggered them to germinate.

Many years ago, I experimented with Alyceclover as a summer food plot plant. But no Alyceclover seed has been added to my plots in 20 years. However, I was amazed while turning my plots this year for fall planting how much Alyceclover is growing in the plots. Anything growing this summer germinated from seed that's been in the ground for at least 20 years.

Ski

Nature has designed seeds to be pretty tough. Germination rates go down over time, but never discount how "self-contained' seeds are. I've read several research projects in old-growth forest regions where, after timber removal/thinning, plants appeared that hadn't been seen in 100 years. The seed had been sitting dormant in the ground all that time until sunlight finally triggered them to germinate.

I was out perusing a property yesterday and we were on a 50 acre ish plateau split by two properties. On one property was a bean field. On the other was forest, but the trees were almost all 15" DBH and there were no stumps. What really had me paying attention to it was all the young ginseng. The place was loaded with young 2 & 3 prong ginseng plants, but no big ones anywhere. It occurred to me that at some point probably 30-40yrs ago that wood lot was part of the ag field, and when the property got split the forest reclaimed half. That ginseng had to be there dormant the entire time it was a field, and sprung back to life when the forest conditions were suitable again.

DoubleRidge

Both of the previous two post (from BSK & Ski) are absolutely fascinating to me.

And Ski.....most folks walking through the timber don't "read" the woods like you do....very interesting observations you made......in years past walking for hours with our forester through the timber was very educational.....some very interesting things to see in the outdoors if we just slow down and open our eyes.

BSK

I was out perusing a property yesterday and we were on a 50 acre ish plateau split by two properties. On one property was a bean field. On the other was forest, but the trees were almost all 15" DBH and there were no stumps. What really had me paying attention to it was all the young ginseng. The place was loaded with young 2 & 3 prong ginseng plants, but no big ones anywhere. It occurred to me that at some point probably 30-40yrs ago that wood lot was part of the ag field, and when the property got split the forest reclaimed half. That ginseng had to be there dormant the entire time it was a field, and sprung back to life when the forest conditions were suitable again.
Very interesting.

Ski

Both of the previous two post (from BSK & Ski) are absolutely fascinating to me.

And Ski.....most folks walking through the timber don't "read" the woods like you do....very interesting observations you made......in years past walking for hours with our forester through the timber was very educational.....some very interesting things to see in the outdoors if we just slow down and open our eyes.

You are 100% correct. The forest will tell you its story if you just slow down & open your eyes. Outside of hunting, I spend a lot of time in the woods for business purposes. While I'm not a forester, I do spend a lot of time working hand in hand with them, forest managers, and forest product producers. My bread & butter specifically revolves around specialty & figured woods, and veneer grade sugar maple. I search out and hand pick particular trees for harvest, specifically slow & old growth hard maples, and burls or intensely figured woods of pretty much any species. Sometimes it's hard for me to deer hunt because I get so distracted looking at trees 😂

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I keep all my seed in a rubbermaid tote in a cool dry area of my basement. I will buy up clearance seed at TSC at end of season for pennies on the dollar. This 1 acre food plot was done in 2016 with Biologic Green Patch, seed was test date 2008. I also did a few plots 2 years ago with seed from 2012 & 2014 test dates with no issues. I'm sure some didn't grow, but I feel like it's a pretty solid set up that has worked for me over the years. Like FISH said, a freezer will help too.

View attachment 148748
I don't think I'd let the deer get all of those. They look good enough to eat.