Velvet Hunt

Bgoodman30

No real desire to stick a fuzzy antlered buck but if the temps dip into the 50's I might want to enjoy a morning sit..

Realtree56

I'm going to give it a go, really don't want to though…. But one of my primary properties goes on the market in early September, kinda figure the velvet hunt will be my last time hunting it

tree_ghost

I have every intention on killing one in velvet at some point in my life. Unfortunately I doubt it will be this year…just got called in to a project in St Louis that I have to be there Saturday morning the 29th at 7:00am…SMH

Kirk

Last year I went out and sat in a ladder stand for about 45, miserable, minutes. The Thermacell was going full blast, it was hot and muggy and sweat was dripping. Common sense hit me about the 30 minute mark but I toughed it out another 15 and then went home. My clothes were soaked with sweat and figure anything with a nose could have smelled me.

megalomaniac

Last year I went out and sat in a ladder stand for about 45, miserable, minutes. The Thermacell was going full blast, it was hot and muggy and sweat was dripping. Common sense hit me about the 30 minute mark but I toughed it out another 15 and then went home. My clothes were soaked with sweat and figure anything with a nose could have smelled me.
That sounds miserable!

I have more fun on the velvet hunt than any other whitetail hunt I've been on since I was 12. Never been in a tree on the velvet hunt.

Spend a month trying to find a buck on trail cams or with binocs... get a general pattern of his travel corridor from bed to food on the afternoon, then hunt spot and stalk in the last hour of daylight.

I'm not saying it's easy... I haven't killed one yet... but I've passed up some decent bucks, and my son missed a 135in 10pt last year. But of you have a nice buck to chase, it's a blast putting the puzzle pieces together to have an encounter.

It's not a meat hunt.. it's a trophy hunt

TimberMan

That sounds miserable!

I have more fun on the velvet hunt than any other whitetail hunt I've been on since I was 12. Never been in a tree on the velvet hunt.

Spend a month trying to find a buck on trail cams or with binocs... get a general pattern of his travel corridor from bed to food on the afternoon, then hunt spot and stalk in the last hour of daylight.

I'm not saying it's easy... I haven't killed one yet... but I've passed up some decent bucks, and my son missed a 135in 10pt last year. But of you have a nice buck to chase, it's a blast putting the puzzle pieces together to have an encounter.

It's not a meat hunt.. it's a trophy hunt
Every hunt is a meat hunt. A big buck is great, but in my opinion if a person heads out with no focus on harvesting the meat that is a shame.

JCDEERMAN

I have every intention on killing one in velvet at some point in my life. Unfortunately I doubt it will be this year…just got called in to a project in St Louis that I have to be there Saturday morning the 29th at 7:00am…SMH
Man, I hate that for you tg. Maybe you could get out there Friday morning or Sunday evening. Hope it all works out.

megalomaniac

Every hunt is a meat hunt. A big buck is great, but in my opinion if a person heads out with no focus on harvesting the meat that is a shame.
Why can't hunting also be about sport and having fun?

if it's all about meat, I assume you process your game yourself (because of the amount of meat the processor wastes). Please make sure you only shoot deer in the head so you don't waste any shoulder meat. Lots of good meat in the organs, hate to see all that meat wasted as well. Tongue is pretty tasty, hope you haven't been wasting it too.

Bottom line, if every hunt is about the meat, why do hunters waste so much that is edible? Who decides what part of the animal should be consumed and what parts are ok to waste?

Hduke86

Why can't hunting also be about sport and having fun?

if it's all about meat, I assume you process your game yourself (because of the amount of meat the processor wastes). Please make sure you only shoot deer in the head so you don't waste any shoulder meat. Lots of good meat in the organs, hate to see all that meat wasted as well. Tongue is pretty tasty, hope you haven't been wasting it too.

Bottom line, if every hunt is about the meat, why do hunters waste so much that is edible? Who decides what part of the animal should be consumed and what parts are ok to waste?
Good point, if I only wanted meat I could go get that at the farmers market and come out cheaper. I wouldn't need a gun, camo, ammo and all the other things that go along with it. I do enjoy eating venison but I enjoy the outdoors and the anticipation of what may be coming my way more than I do the meat. The thing on my mind most of the time is the road trips and the camaraderie I spend with good friends that I can count on.

BSK

We eat every deer we kill. I have a big family and we can eat a lot of venison. One year we killed and ate 12 deer. However, acquiring meat is only one of the reasons I deer hunt. The primary reason is simply to participate in the "act" of hunting. That satisfies a deep-seated need I have within myself to "be Human," and we Humans are genetically designed to be hunter-gatherers. It's in our DNA, literally.

DoubleRidge

I eat every deer I kill....or... it is given to a local family who eats no other red meat but deer.....never have purposely wasted any deer meat and never intend too.

But....deer meat is not the primary reason I deer hunt...nor is it the reason I manage the habitat on two different pieces of property.

If deer meat was the primary reason I hunted I would hate to see the cost per pound....for that cost I could eat the top prime cuts of beef....no doubt.

Fresh meat is a nice bonus.....but hunting in general goes much deeper than that.

Madbowh

How many are hitting the woods for the velvet hunt? If you are, how do you keep your deer from spoiling with the heat?
Call a couple processors see if they are open and will let you hang it there, mine charges me 20a day then when I get it home I've got the meat off the bone in the refrigerator before or ever warms up. Cost me almost a much as if they cut it up but worth it for me not worried about the money just keeping it cold and processed the way I like it.

Latest posts