Velvet Hunt

TimberMan

How many are hitting the woods for the velvet hunt? If you are, how do you keep your deer from spoiling with the heat?

JCDEERMAN

I don't have any good prospects. If I did, I'd certainly be after them. Back in 2018 when I was successful, I just recovered him within the hour and stuck him in our walk in cooler. That's not an option for most, but just quarter him out and stick in a big cooler of ice. The meat just needs to cool down in general. Same thing for when we kill an elk in CO. Quarter out and stick in pillow sheets to get air and cool off and get cool ASAP, even if that's 2 hours. Just cool the meat as soon as you can. Don't use trash bags

TimberMan

I usually watch the Temps and sit out of hot days. I just always wonder what others do to help combat the high Temps and meat integrity.

SC Manimal

My plan is throw him on the 4-wheeler and get back to the house ASAP (only about 5 minutes away). Field dress on ice and tarp. Wrap him in ice and tarp in truck to get to processor (about 12 minutes away). That was my plan last year too but I didn't see anything worth getting in a rush for.

dgolden

I wasn't planning on it, but after checking cameras today I may have to!

Attachments

• 76B601F4-7D3E-4640-8B83-6A285CC9307F.jpeg
    76B601F4-7D3E-4640-8B83-6A285CC9307F.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 269

backyardtndeer

Maybe, not sure yet. Put a couple cameras out this past week. If there is something to get my interest and if the temps are in the low 60's or lower, I may sit a morning or two.

TN Larry

Unless something shows up between now and next weekend, I don't plan on hunting. I don't have anything yet that makes me want to go sit in the hot weather for it. I am not going to complain if that changes though. :)

Latest posts