TN velvet hunt Aug 25-27

agelessssone

First day of the velvet hunt here near Nashville looks to be a balmy 100° during the day.
Shoulder be enjoyable sitting in a blind or treestand. I'm glad I no longer have an affinity for horns so won't be tempted to hunt.
I'm old, getting fat and lazy. I kill deer just for the venison they carry around on their bones.
I'll hunt Nov 14-18, peak of the rut for us.
Kill my 2 or 3 for the freezer in that time frame and call it a season.

jetwrnch

I was planning on it this year for the first time. I have some really good bucks on camera on a regular basis. My concern is that their pattern will change by the time it cools down.

BSK

I'm using it as an excuse to the wife to get away. I'll hunt if I feel like it. Probably will be moving stands the whole weekend. That's what I've done the last few years
Every year we plan our "stand-moving weekend" some time from early August to mid-September. And every year it turns out to be the hottest weekend of the year. Guess which weekend is our stand-moving weekend this year! You guessed it... :rolleyes:

JCDEERMAN

Every year we plan our "stand-moving weekend" some time from early August to mid-September. And every year it turns out to be the hottest weekend of the year. Guess which weekend is our stand-moving weekend this year! You guessed it... :rolleyes:
🤣😂🤣 yup! Yesterday wasn't bad from a humidity standpoint. We have our work weekend Labor Day weekend.

DeerMan66

We used to do the same thing. We made a change this year and moved stands in March. The temps were much more pleasant and there were no leaves. That's my plan going forward.

BSK

We used to do the same thing. We made a change this year and moved stands in March. The temps were much more pleasant and there were no leaves. That's my plan going forward.
Problem is, I need to know what the acorn crop is going to look like before I decide on stand locations. On my place, the movement patterns in good and bad acorn crop years are completely different.

Last edited:

megalomaniac

This will probably be the first year I skip. We've gotten on camera or seen about 75 bucks so far. 7 mature in the 120 to 135in range. No giants this year, and I'm not shooting one in velvet unless he's mid 140s and mature. Plus I'm coming up the following weekend for a funeral.

deerhunter10

I'm a trophy hunter through and through but velvet hunt has never ever got my motor going. We have a lot of work to get done before season will continue that work this coming weekend also final touches to our dove fields. 100 degree weather and deer hunting sounds just wrong to me lol.

JeepKuntry

I wonder if my Uncle will back out. I don't like them temps, but a shooting house and a rifle in unit cwd is something I am willing to do. I will spray down for ticks n bugs and just one layer of clothes.

Latest posts