TN velvet hunt Aug 25-27

Bgoodman30

I've got to check one of my cams on a property line where my neighbor hung a stand. Looks like Friday afternoon will be a good time!

Specializedjon

I've never shot a velvet buck, let alone with a bow. I can't check that box from the comfort of my house. I'm gonna sit in the mornings and late afternoons. May even take a cooler and beer with me 😂 and go full redneck.

Standby for pictures of a dead buck with 2 poorly placed arrows sticking out of him and a knife wound to the head 😂

hunter0925

I've never shot a velvet buck, let alone with a bow. I can't check that box from the comfort of my house. I'm gonna sit in the mornings and late afternoons. May even take a cooler and beer with me 😂 and go full redneck.

Standby for pictures of a dead buck with 2 poorly placed arrows sticking out of him and a knife wound to the head 😂
Who are you going to have to stab him? I know where the arrows will come from. Lol

Specializedjon

Who are you going to have to stab him? I know where the arrows will come from. Lol
My 4 year old daughter is a beast with a fixed blade. I think it's time.....

Nobody eats for free in my house 😂

She's not gonna have any fun stories to tell her kids about Grandpa sitting in the house having tea parties.

JCDEERMAN

I killed one on the first velvet hunt in 2018. I went balls to the wall and killed him in about 20 minutes 🤣. I guess I scratched that itch. And I've gotten older - it's more about comfort and not pushing myself to be out in the elements. I HATE the heat

TNRAMBLINGMAN

No way. I did the velvet hunt in Kentucky once and it was so hot I was afraid the meat would spoil. Not enjoyable in any way. Like others said I also hate the heat and I would much rather shoot one starting mid October forward. Nothing more enjoyable than talking to other hunters in camp mid day on a cold day with a buck cooling out. No heat and no need to rush around frantically worrying about hair slippage, meat spoiling, etc.

Specializedjon

No way. I did the velvet hunt in Kentucky once and it was so hot I was afraid the meat would spoil. Not enjoyable in any way. Like others said I also hate the heat and I would much rather shoot one starting mid October forward. Nothing more enjoyable than talking to other hunters in camp mid day on a cold day with a buck cooling out. No heat and no need to rush around frantically worrying about hair slippage, meat spoiling, etc.
My wife asked me over dinner last night "what's the afternoon look like if you get one?" I said "I'm gonna stuff it with ice bags and it'll be a quick cape and cut"

70 degrees sucks when you shoot a deer, 100+ degrees will be a first for me. We shall see.

I've got a very large empty freezer that's empty. Worst case, I'll cut the head and legs off and toss'm in there.

Ski

My wife asked me over dinner last night "what's the afternoon look like if you get one?" I said "I'm gonna stuff it with ice bags and it'll be a quick cape and cut"

70 degrees sucks when you shoot a deer, 100+ degrees will be a first for me. We shall see.

I've got a very large empty freezer that's empty. Worst case, I'll cut the head and legs off and toss'm in there.

It's not horrible. The one I got wasn't ever in any danger of trouble. I strung it up and skinned it right away, then deboned the carcass. Meat went into plastic tubs that sat in fridge as I worked cutting and packing on the kitchen counter. From death to fridge was maybe 2hrs at most. There was never a threat of spoilage and the meat tasted fine.

CliffordN

Monitoring the weather closely now, and praying that we get some rain, or anything that might lower the temps a few more degrees. If nothing else, at least I will be ready for September. Got my lightest bug suit ready to go on over some shorts and a t shirt. The stand is a very short walk, just need at least some hint of a breeze to make it workable.

JCDEERMAN

I'm sending this to your wife. 🤣
IMG_4497.gif

Bullfrog

Hypothetical question....is anyone going to shoot a deer that is already hard horned with a lot less score/size(if that's what you were going for) than what you thought it'd look like? Only asking because i've seen a couple hard horn in the last week.

Latest posts