Velvet Hunt

DoubleRidge

How many are hitting the woods for the velvet hunt? If you are, how do you keep your deer from spoiling with the heat?

If I was going I would get the deer quartered and on ice asap and the meat will be fine...last year opening weekend of muzzleloader was upper 80s and abnormally hot.....got deer gutted and got on road home...skinned, quartered and on ice within two or so hours....meat was fine.

TN Whitetail Freak

I'll stop by the store and get about 40 pounds of ice before every hunt and if I'm unsuccessful I'll have the cooler ready for beer chillin' and I'll go buy several big things of black pepper to keep the flies off while I quarter it. A tarp, sharp knives and that break down portable gambrel to hang and cape the deer asap. If it ain't worth caping it I ain't shooting it. However, my setup this year I'll be able to quickly retrieve with a vehicle hopefully in which I'll just stuff as much ice after field dressing it and run to the taxidermists 40 minutes away then quarter it at home.

BubbaGoneWild

I mean let's all be real here its way more expensive to buy license, camo, guns/bow all other equipment ect, then a process fee unless you do it yourself. So much cheaper to just go buy meat in the store lol. But on the velvet note idgaf about the meat on that weekend lol I'm after some big boy somewhere 😂

Snake

Every hunt is a meat hunt. A big buck is great, but in my opinion if a person heads out with no focus on harvesting the meat that is a shame.
Bucks eat as well as does brother , I don't know anyone here that wastes venison. Why call it a shame just because of different goals ? Has anyone said it was a shame to you because you meat hunt ? Just hunt brother we hunters need to be united !

Ski

I don't have one to hunt this year so I probably won't go. But I sure would if there was a buck I wanted!

I hunted all 3 days last year & killed my buck right before dark on the last day, just as the storm was rolling in. I got zapped by lightning that ran through barb wire & jumped out to me. And I'd do it again! Sure it gets hot and sweaty but I'm a hunter. It's what I do. I love it. The velvet hunt is a trophy hunt. Of course I eat the meat, and it's delicious. But the objective is velvet antlers.

I never had any issue with meat spoiling. I watched him drop so there was no real tracking or waiting. Got him gutted and hung up within an hour of shooting, and had meat cut off and in the fridge within an hour of that. Spent the rest of the evening butchering & packing, pulling only what I could handle at a time from the fridge. It really wasn't any more difficult or special than any other deer I shoot any time, nor did the meat have a weird taste from being warm for a couple hours. It was actually very clean & non-rutty like a young doe. I'd absolutely do it again if I had one I wanted to shoot.

tree_ghost

I have every intention on killing one in velvet at some point in my life. Unfortunately I doubt it will be this year…just got called in to a project in St Louis that I have to be there Saturday morning the 29th at 7:00am…SMH
Well the old squeaky wheel gets the grease…I guess they found another guy to handle the oversight on the project for me…fuzzy antlers here I come!!!!!!!!

hunter drew

I plan to hunt. Maybe I'll get lucky. It would be the first time I get to hunt the velvet hunt

Attachments

• F7096B0C-459F-47A6-A3D1-E9D68A5BD465.jpeg
    F7096B0C-459F-47A6-A3D1-E9D68A5BD465.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 96

tree_ghost

Well it's gonna be warm but if the rain hits Thursday like predicted then a slight cool down will be nice…

Attachments

• DAEEBE8A-752E-4BB3-A05D-F34106591D43.png
    DAEEBE8A-752E-4BB3-A05D-F34106591D43.png
    158.8 KB · Views: 42

megalomaniac

Well it's gonna be warm but if the rain hits Thursday like predicted then a slight cool down will be nice…
Weather looks great to me, just a 6 or 7 deg temp drop after this hot spell will really get them moving 30 min earlier in the evening. Just hope we don't have squirrely winds from downdrafts off tstorms. I can play the game with any wind direction, as long as it is constant and not changing.

Shot the Xbox this morn, forgot how loud it is... but jeez, it's insanely accurate. Been 3 months since I've been hunting anything, I'm already having trouble sleeping at night from anticipation!

74MOPAR

Weather looks great to me, just a 6 or 7 deg temp drop after this hot spell will really get them moving 30 min earlier in the evening. Just hope we don't have squirrely winds from downdrafts off tstorms. I can play the game with any wind direction, as long as it is constant and not changing.

Shot the Xbox this morn, forgot how loud it is... but jeez, it's insanely accurate. Been 3 months since I've been hunting anything, I'm already having trouble sleeping at night from anticipation!
What did the Xbox ever do to you? 😂
I know you meant xbow. Yes they seem loud.

Latest posts