Vanilla ice cream recipe

WTM

ive tried many and failed miserably, especially when trying to hard freeze the finished product. it appears that ice cream making is a marvel of science. this recipe makes a quart and can be doubled for 2 qts or quadrupled for a gallon. the trick is to know when its done. i let mine double in size and about the stiffness of a hard soft serve. you can add fruit to this, but fresh fruit will end up like fruit ice cubes when hard frozen. the science says you have to remove the water in the fruit in order to make it soft in hard frozen ice cream. mascerate in sugar(a teaspoon or 2 of vodka can be added as an antifreeze), cook mashed fruit to a jam or candied or partially dehydrated are the main ways this is accomplished.

thanks to TrapperJohn on his thread, i think this is perfect for my little tabletop deni maker.

4 egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste

Add egg yolks and sugar to a medium saucepan and whisk until a light yellow color and well combined. In another small sauce pan, heat milk over medium-low heat until it just begins to simmer. Do not stir. Gradually add milk to egg and sugar mixture, stirring constantly. Return to heat until it reaches 165º F, but do not allow it to come to a boil. As soon as it reaches the correct temperature, remove it from the heat. Pour custard base into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until it chills to 65º F. The longer the custard base chills, the creamier your ice cream will be.
Once the custard base is ready, stir in the heavy cream and vanilla extract and pour it into your ice cream maker and process according to your ice cream maker's instructions.

my weakness, duncan hines cup o caramel brownie topped with this concoction:

Attachments

• CB957F1D-0270-4CF4-A447-754B43DE45D0.jpeg
    CB957F1D-0270-4CF4-A447-754B43DE45D0.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 542

WTM

i might add that even after hard frozen, it stays soft enough to scoop with just a spoon. i also precooled my ice cream storage container in the freezer so that none melts during the transfer. i also put a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the cream in the container. this helps to keep frost and ice crystals forming on top of the cream.

Latest posts