Upcoming Cold Front 11/11-11/12

Soft Talker

Weather is only relevant before the prerut. Once the first does come in, it doesn't matter if it's 30 deg or 80 deg.. rain or shine. You can't change biology.

Nov 10th is the day the first doe comes in on my farms. Nov 15th is the magical day. It's full on Nov 18th. Same thing year after year, regardless of the weather.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather it be cold, but weather isn't going to Trump biology.
So not Nov 9, or maybe Nov 11, but absolutely Nov. 10 is for sure, when the FIRST doe comes into full blown heat on your , how many hundred acres of farms. 🤣 God himself could not predict that. You funny.

C1295

I didn't even go this weekend I know you cant kill them from the couch but this weather is awful... especially when your lugging yourself back on public land.

Soft Talker

Ignore this dude Soft Talker. He's like the one person in the crowd that tries to be loud and funny at a comedy show.
This is an honest question, for anyone , for that matter. How in the hell, can someone say with a straight face, that on their free range, low fence property, they know exactly, to the day, when their 1rst doe is going to come into estrus. Is he physically keeping tabs on EVERY single doe that may be on these properties, at any given time. Absolutely impossible. Just pointing out the obvious, in a low voice, without yelling :)

Flintlocksforme

I changed Tuesday-Wednesday to next Monday-Wednesday. Hope to be stacking them by then. About a mile out of Buffalo River Unit 2 I saw a nice 8 standing in the middle of the road. I stopped to look for a doe and there was one to my left. She slowly walked away up a hill and a really nice 10 point that I didn't see at first followed her up the hill with his nose near her rear like the "Tink's Logo" at 1 o'clock on Saturday afternoon.

Ski

Once the first does come in, it doesn't matter if it's 30 deg or 80 deg.. rain or shine. You can't change biology.

That's been exactly my experience as well. A hot doe will be hounded & bred regardless of weather. She's only hot for 24hrs and the weather doesn't pause for her. If she's hot the bucks will have her on her feet and they'll be after her until one gets the the prize. Could be midnight could be noon. Could be 8* could be 80*. Doesn't matter.

Boone25/06

Water sources are going to be hot rut spots if there is a limited amount in area. They maybe able to get most of their water from food sources but not when being run around in hot dry conditions. Cruising buck will stop by and run down does will bring trailing buck by too. Seen 3 come to one today with mouths wide open.

OutdoorJunkie

Weather is only relevant before the prerut. Once the first does come in, it doesn't matter if it's 30 deg or 80 deg.. rain or shine. You can't change biology.

Nov 10th is the day the first doe comes in on my farms. Nov 15th is the magical day. It's full on Nov 18th. Same thing year after year, regardless of the weather.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather it be cold, but weather isn't going to Trump biology.
I completely agree with you on that man, but they may not chase as much during the heat of the day as that could influence them more to chase at night when it's cooler. I do think hot temperatures influence them even during the rut.

tanasirivertea

This is an honest question, for anyone , for that matter. How in the hell, can someone say with a straight face, that on their free range, low fence property, they know exactly, to the day, when their 1rst doe is going to come into estrus. Is he physically keeping tabs on EVERY single doe that may be on these properties, at any given time. Absolutely impossible. Just pointing out the obvious, in a low voice, without yelling :)
Its not really keeping up with evey single doe. No one is honestly implying they have done vaginal swabs or something silly. But we've all seen a doe in heat wondering where her beau was, bleeting and carrying on. And for his hunting area, he always has a doe come in on that day. Most likely has witnessed the doe and co-occuring buck behavior no earlier than the day mentioned. Deer biologists have already proven that doe inherit their cycle from their moms. Its genes and hormones. If they don't get bred, they cycle again like 28 to 30 days later in early to mid Dec.

Soft Talker

Its not really keeping up with evey single doe. No one is honestly implying they have done vaginal swabs or something silly. But we've all seen a doe in heat wondering where her beau was, bleeting and carrying on. And for his hunting area, he always has a doe come in on that day. Most likely has witnessed the doe and co-occuring buck behavior no earlier than the day mentioned. Deer biologists have already proven that doe inherit their cycle from their moms. Its genes and hormones. If they don't get bred, they cycle again like 28 to 30 days later in early to mid Dec.
I, along with most seasoned deer hunters, will agree with everything you said, but short of vaginal swabs on EVERY doe that may frequent your properties, stating for sure, that you know the exact date the FIRST doe in your area is going to be bred, is impossible. A seasoned deer hunter, or open minded biologist, surely has to realize this.

Ski

I absolutely keep track of my does. A particular doe will hit hot with 1-3 days every single year, more often than not same exact day. Biologists claim it's triggered by photoperiod, the amount of time the sun is up during the day. Seeing as how that is constant to the second from year to year it makes sense.

I have several does that I know when they'll be hot and I plan my hunts around those dates. One in particular hits hot so predictably that I've seen big bucks cruise through the same exact spot on October 30th in the early evening 3 out of 4 years in a row. I killed two of them. Sit that stand October 29th or 31st or even morning of 30th and you won't see a thing. But evening of October 30th and your chances are solid.

DeerCamp

I think what mega is saying is that the dates are the dates. It's not magically going to become suddenly that doe comes in on Oct 29th because the moon was blue corn and then full blown rut happens on Nov 7th on the equinox.

When you hunt as long and gather as much data as he has, you can say with a high degree of certainty that these are the usual dates.

I'm not 100% sure when our first doe comes in, but I can tell you to be in the stand Dec 4th because the primary breeding is over and there will be a couple of mature bucks on their feet desperately searching new areas.

Buzzard Breath

For my own sanity, it sure will feel nice sitting in my treestand after a cold front instead of melting in the heat. I'll be bowhunting between a couple of lakes this weekend and looking forward to a little cooler weather.

Last edited:

Latest posts