Upcoming Cold Front 11/11-11/12

UTGrad

I've been watching the timing on the next cold front. It very well could be a dynamite weekend coming up. Currently, rain is supposed to move out Friday. Saturday and Sunday will be post front clear and colder.

If this forecast timing holds up, this weekend will be perfect and deer should be on their feet.

philsanchez76

I've been watching the timing on the next cold front. It very well could be a dynamite weekend coming up. Currently, rain is supposed to move out Friday. Saturday and Sunday will be post front clear and colder.

If this forecast timing holds up, this weekend will be perfect and deer should be on their feet.
I think you're right! I got access to hunt a farm in Missouri this next weekend and looks to be perfect!

redblood

I think monday and tuesday of next week will be the days. Looks like a stout northwind behind that front. I have found that 48 hours after a strong front is best, once the winds die down

megalomaniac

Weather is only relevant before the prerut. Once the first does come in, it doesn't matter if it's 30 deg or 80 deg.. rain or shine. You can't change biology.

Nov 10th is the day the first doe comes in on my farms. Nov 15th is the magical day. It's full on Nov 18th. Same thing year after year, regardless of the weather.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather it be cold, but weather isn't going to Trump biology.

deerfever

The rut will happen no matter what but a lot of what happens is at night during these heat spells it seems to me. I do remember years ago it was so hot that I was putting my stand around a tree for the evening hunt sweating in short sleeves and thinking why are you even out here. Doe comes running by with one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen in tow. I can still see that deer to this day in my mind but I had no way to get a shot he was moving. But yep ,no doubt the cold weather will help with daytime movement. Bring it on!

Last edited:

chris1976

Weather is only relevant before the prerut. Once the first does come in, it doesn't matter if it's 30 deg or 80 deg.. rain or shine. You can't change biology.

Nov 10th is the day the first doe comes in on my farms. Nov 15th is the magical day. It's full on Nov 18th. Same thing year after year, regardless of the weather.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather it be cold, but weather isn't going to Trump biology.
I disagree with your first statement. After 40 years of hunting deer nothing will discourage daytime deer movement like unseasonably hot temps. All other things being equal you will see much more movement on cold high pressure days than you will on hot days. Can you kill a buck chasing a doe on November 13 at noon when it's 80 degrees? Sure but it's the exception and not the rule. Weather matters even during the peak of the rut.

Andy S.

You can't change biology.
True, but with with 10 hours of daylight and 14 hours of darkness (and typically cooler temps), most of the activity will occur at night. That is what I (and many others) have witnessed last 20+ years here in SW TN when the temps rise above average in November. For the remainder of deer season, days are getting shorter, and nights are getting longer, all in favor of the deer.

Andy S.

I disagree with your first statement. After 40 years of hunting deer nothing will discourage daytime deer movement like unseasonably hot temps. All other things being equal you will see much more movement on cold high pressure days than you will on hot days. Can you kill a buck chasing a doe on November 13 at noon when it's 80 degrees? Sure but it's the exception and not the rule. Weather matters even during the peak of the rut.
Agree 110%, especially with mildly to heavily pressured deer. Now my neighborhood deer, they will show themselves at dusk/dawn with most any weather.

Last edited:

Kevin

Im hoping the rain pushes out around noon Friday. Middle kid's birthday is Saturday, so I have party duty Saturday most of the day. Friday evening and Sunday pre-church seem like my best times, also the north wind on both those days helps where I'll be sitting.

DeerCamp

I still see a huge difference in daylight activity during the rut if the weather is cold vs abnormally warm. I don't doubt that the breeding is still taking place.

But the daylight activity seems to vary pretty drastically with weather.

Latest posts