Tree Saddles

themanpcl

I didn't understand it until I tried it. Hooked now. Disclaimer, for gun only hunters, it probably is not as difficult to get "in range" as it when bow hunting. Doesn't matter to me what method, I want to get close. Saddle gives me so much more versatility as to where I can hunt. Best thing for me is that if I get to the spot I want to hunt, I just pick where I want to shoot and climb, not what tree looks like I can get a climber in and is close. I will say it is not for everyone. If you are bigger, it is tougher than running a climber. If you are weaker, probably won't be your thing. If you have a balance issue, don't try it. You will get hurt or drop your weapon trying to get a shot. I know a lot of people talk about the weight issue with saddle vs climber. I rarely hike over a mile so weight was never an issue. If you hike 3 miles, it might be an issue for you. The main thing I found, it is just fun to hang off the side of a tree and try to figure out what kind of a shot I'll be presented with if any. if you know anyone who has a saddle and sticks, give it a try after season just to experience the challenge.

hitek7

I think if I was going to use saddle, that is the setup I'd want - I think. Do you rappel down from the hunting position?
At this time I do not. Sounds like a good idea to me but it is extra items I have to deal with and I am not at that point yet.

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
I'm new to saddle hunting done alot of research and read alot on other forums. I have a bad back (lower back) I am pushing needing surgery. And I tell you I have a cruzr and tethrd Skeletors and platform also have a xop lock on stand I think k it's 10lbs not sure. So here is what I found after about 4hrs in stand my lower back gets sore now I can out the back band on and it all goes away when I'm going to hunt half day I use the little platform and like others have said I hunt where I want not where I can get a Clymer in I hunt my own land also got 6 double stands up deer change pattern when they get pressured I'm not moving those pain in a butt stands I hunt out of the saddle I have set in a ladder stand one time this year and killed my first doe out of the saddle I was setting 25 yards from one ladder stand that the doe came right up and looked at the stand stand been there for 5 years but because I could hide my self better in a saddle I was able to take her. So alot of good things with a saddle i would say don't knock it till you have tried it. If you get all the right stuff you can be quiet and make hardly any sounds. I have packed my saddle 3/4 mile in and I can tell you 8-10 pounds hooked to a backpack is easier on your back than any stand will ever be

Latest posts