Tree Saddles

DMD

I've tried to be open minded, but I just don't get it. Now...to each his own. Some people love things others hate. I get it. And, I understand that out west and other places, there are no trees to use climbers. I get that too. But, I have tried to keep an open mind about tree saddles - everytime I see someone use one, I just shake my head and think: REALLY? With all the equipment you need to get up the tree, and latched to the tree, and platforms or rings of steps, etc. They look slow. They look clunky. They look complicated. Then...they look uncomfortable as heck. Standing on pegs or a tiny platform. I dunno - must be something to them, because everyone seems to be using them.

I've got two climbing stands - Summit Goliath and really lightweight (11 lbs) climbing stand. I can have them on a tree and up ready to hunt in no time. I can sit from first light till dark. I can and have carried the 11 lbs stand for miles. I can shoot pretty much 360 around the tree. I can climb quiet and quickly. Like I said - the one advantage I see with saddle is - ability to climb crooked trees or climbing trees with limbs.

Are these saddles just a fad? Or are they the wave of the future? I see them having some isolated usage in the future for certain situations. I could also see someone inventing a climbing system to go with them that makes them a little more desirable. I just really have no interest in them. But, to those who love them - more power to you. I certainly am not vilifying you. What say you?

Rakkin6

No idea brother, I understand where you are coming from. It seems like supporting all your weight on those legs or little platform would get your quads smoking. And I could be wrong but if you are a gun or crossbow hunter it seems you would always be taking offhand shots because there would be no rest. But I could be wrong because I have never used one. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

CritterGitter

I would like to try one , and i understand the saddle is supposed to pretty much support you . I work construction and i when i see people using those little platforms it reminds me immediately of standing on a ladder , which seems like torture. Youd need a real stiff soled boot to distribute the pressure , atleast i would. I hate standing on a rung for hours

PickettSFHunter

My honest thoughts. I hunt my own private land, permission private land, and public land. Public land for me = saddle for all the walking in and being mobile. Private land= depends. If I can get a climber in there without much trouble, I'm probably taking the climber. Ladder stand already there- absolutely. Saddle if I'm being mobile and scouting/hunting as I find a spot. My little saddle pack and setup just don't weigh much and is so much easier to get through limbs and brush. I do believe the saddle thing will lessen for those that primarily hunt easy access private land.

ImThere

Saddle hunting has been around along time. Tethrd has done more to bring saddle hunting to the fore front than any other company in the industry. I don't think it will stay popular as long as some would like. It's not for everyone.
I love my saddles. I been hunting out ao a saddle for along time. When I started you had two choices. Very little choice of climbing sticks.
If you hunt from a loc on it is very easy to step in to a saddle. Saddles are way more comfortable that any portable lock on out there. I think they're as comfortable as a climber and I can climb any tree, its easy to adjust height, and it's easy to Carry through the woods.
To each his own. Use every tool at your disposal

BDS05

I've tried to be open minded, but I just don't get it. Now...to each his own. Some people love things others hate. I get it. And, I understand that out west and other places, there are no trees to use climbers. I get that too. But, I have tried to keep an open mind about tree saddles - everytime I see someone use one, I just shake my head and think: REALLY? With all the equipment you need to get up the tree, and latched to the tree, and platforms or rings of steps, etc. They look slow. They look clunky. They look complicated. Then...they look uncomfortable as heck. Standing on pegs or a tiny platform. I dunno - must be something to them, because everyone seems to be using them.

I've got two climbing stands - Summit Goliath and really lightweight (11 lbs) climbing stand. I can have them on a tree and up ready to hunt in no time. I can sit from first light till dark. I can and have carried the 11 lbs stand for miles. I can shoot pretty much 360 around the tree. I can climb quiet and quickly. Like I said - the one advantage I see with saddle is - ability to climb crooked trees or climbing trees with limbs.

Are these saddles just a fad? Or are they the wave of the future? I see them having some isolated usage in the future for certain situations. I could also see someone inventing a climbing system to go with them that makes them a little more desirable. I just really have no interest in them. But, to those who love them - more power to you. I certainly am not vilifying you. What say you?
Try one.
I hunt both public and private. The saddle goes everywhere.
I sold my Summit. I can shoot 360 and I'm more comfortable than ever once I figured out my needs in such. I rarely use ladder stands anymore as I always like to move even if it's just 15 yards.
I can set up just as quick and much more quiet than I ever thought about with a climber. It's less weight, less cumbersome, more versatile and less noise walking through the woods.
This will be trend year six, I believe, for me?

BDS05

I would like to try one , and i understand the saddle is supposed to pretty much support you . I work construction and i when i see people using those little platforms it reminds me immediately of standing on a ladder , which seems like torture. Youd need a real stiff soled boot to distribute the pressure , atleast i would. I hate standing on a rung for hours
Up and down a ladder at work KILLS my back. I've never related any back pains to my saddle, and they are frequent…

tahtah

I'll weigh in as a new saddle user. I picked up a Cruzr XC a few months ago. Practiced in the backyard before the season and when the season started, it took some time to figure out "my system". But I finally figured out the best way to pack it all (saddle, platform, (4) tethrd skeletor sticks) and get into the woods. After about a half dozen sits, I've reverted back to my summit climber. I actually cat napped in my climber yesterday. I think there will be occasions and situations where the saddle will be what I use. Mostly when there just aren't trees in an area that lend themself to a climber. Or when I don't plan to hunt for long and want the mobility.

My cons, to the saddle.

1. This is the primary reason, sitting in the saddle just slap wears me out. I'm over 60 and in decent shape, but my legs are just drained after the first hour. The most I've been able to manage in the saddle is 2 hours. It's not that it's uncomfortable, it just requires some leg muscles to be working all the time.
2. Like DMD mentioned in his original post, I feel like I have a bunch of pieces and parts when I get to the tree. 4 sticks, 1 platform, 1 saddle, knee pads for tree, 1 rope for my pack, 1 rope for my weapon, and so on. Granted, the ropes for my pack and weapon are also part of my climber setup, but I tie them to my climber and forget about them and just start climbing.
3. I'm very accustomed to laying my weapon across my climber railing. I just feel like I need an extra hand when I'm in the saddle.

The pros for the saddle are the same everyone has mentioned.

1. My saddle setup is almost exactly 10 pounds lighter than my climber setup. I literally packed up both setups and got on the scales. While that may not sound like much, 10 pounds makes a huge difference when you're hiking in a mile or so.
2. You can get in almost any tree. I've already hunted from some trees I wouldn't have been able to climb with my climber.

In all the research I did before purchasing, nowhere did I hear or read anything about leg fatigue. I just wanted to share a different perspective. I'm not knocking saddles and I think there's definitely a place for them. If I were 10 years younger, I'd probably love mine. I actually watched a youtube video by a guy saying "saddles aren't just for young guys". But I think he was 50. Just like 10 pounds, 10 years makes a big difference.

Gravey

I'm new to this game and haven't hunted out of it yet but I bought a Cruzr XC. Been playing in the yard with it a little but the reason I'm trying it is our lease is very thick. We have permanent stands setup on food plots and I've become lazy. Wanted the mobility to get in some thicker areas where climbable trees with a climber are rare. Also easier, lighter, and quieter to get through the thick stuff with it. At least that's how I convinced myself to try it. Time will tell if I like it or not but know from the yard I'll need knee pads so when I'm sitting in the saddle my knees aren't drilling themselves into the tree.

Polarkraft

I've been in one for 3 or 4 years now. They aren't bad but take some getting used to. Shot radius isn't as good as some would lead you to believe, but it's better than most other stands. Comfort isn't a as good as a summit but the weight makes up for it, it's really not bad.
That being said I'll be in one for the foreseeable future but plan to give a lightweight lock on a go in the future

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
I'll weigh in as a new saddle user. I picked up a Cruzr XC a few months ago. Practiced in the backyard before the season and when the season started, it took some time to figure out "my system". But I finally figured out the best way to pack it all (saddle, platform, (4) tethrd skeletor sticks) and get into the woods. After about a half dozen sits, I've reverted back to my summit climber. I actually cat napped in my climber yesterday. I think there will be occasions and situations where the saddle will be what I use. Mostly when there just aren't trees in an area that lend themself to a climber. Or when I don't plan to hunt for long and want the mobility.

My cons, to the saddle.

1. This is the primary reason, sitting in the saddle just slap wears me out. I'm over 60 and in decent shape, but my legs are just drained after the first hour. The most I've been able to manage in the saddle is 2 hours. It's not that it's uncomfortable, it just requires some leg muscles to be working all the time.
2. Like DMD mentioned in his original post, I feel like I have a bunch of pieces and parts when I get to the tree. 4 sticks, 1 platform, 1 saddle, knee pads for tree, 1 rope for my pack, 1 rope for my weapon, and so on. Granted, the ropes for my pack and weapon are also part of my climber setup, but I tie them to my climber and forget about them and just start climbing.
3. I'm very accustomed to laying my weapon across my climber railing. I just feel like I need an extra hand when I'm in the saddle.

The pros for the saddle are the same everyone has mentioned.

1. My saddle setup is almost exactly 10 pounds lighter than my climber setup. I literally packed up both setups and got on the scales. While that may not sound like much, 10 pounds makes a huge difference when you're hiking in a mile or so.
2. You can get in almost any tree. I've already hunted from some trees I wouldn't have been able to climb with my climber.

In all the research I did before purchasing, nowhere did I hear or read anything about leg fatigue. I just wanted to share a different perspective. I'm not knocking saddles and I think there's definitely a place for them. If I were 10 years younger, I'd probably love mine. I actually watched a youtube video by a guy saying "saddles aren't just for young guys". But I think he was 50. Just like 10 pounds, 10 years makes a big difference.
You need to figure out different ways to sit in the saddle i can get everything at the right height and fall asleep in mine while resting against the tree. Im a sitter not a leaner!! I love being able to be in a resting position and be in a standing position with very little effort or strain on my legs. You know when trying to stand with bad knees its kinda hard sometimes but the saddle fixed all that for me

Dumbluck

There are pros and cons to both systems. I use both a saddle and traditional stands. I do use my saddle more now than traditional treestands. It's extremely light, I wear my saddle in and don't even know it's there. I can get through thick brush quietly and hunt from just about any tree. It's not for everyone, and when I first started using one several seasons ago I hated it, until I gave it some time and figured out how I liked to use it. I'm a very mobile hunter and typically scout before each hunt and climb a tree while scouting to hunt. I always have certain areas where I know the general area I will be hunting but to pinpoint it I scout it and then hunt. I'll pick a morning spot while scouting for my afternoon sit. So the saddle works best for me. I lugged stands in and out for years. I prefer my climber in open timber but for thick timber the saddle is the way to go. I have never left my climbing stand over night in all my years of hunting, and i very rarely hunt the same tree more than 2 to 3 times a season. I prefer the climber for all day sits. The saddle is comfortable, I actually fell asleep last time I hunted out of it on accident but it's not as comfortable as my climber. I do feel safer in the saddle.

I use a one stick climbing method, and rappel down. So all I have to carry is my saddle which I wear, rope, and climbing stick.

It's definitely not for everyone but for my hunting style it works best. The first climb of the season, I always have to break off the rust unlike my climber but I've also used climbers for 20 years compared to the 3 for the saddle.

rhinoblakes

When I first started deer hunting I thought I had to choose a style of stand. Now I just hunt out of what makes the most sense. In east tn we have a lot of straight trees that makes a climber make a lot of sense.

I also enjoy hunting friends farms when a ladder stand is already put up, that's pretty cool and feels like I'm VIP

I personally like carrying less than 30lbs on my back for the hikes over 2 mi. My feet are happier. I bought the saddle for those long hikes and after watching an arborist work one day I decided I was done with traditional safety harnesses. So I use a saddle all the time and sometimes with sticks/platform if it fits the situation

Duck dogn

No idea brother, I understand where you are coming from. It seems like supporting all your weight on those legs or little platform would get your quads smoking. And I could be wrong but if you are a gun or crossbow hunter it seems you would always be taking offhand shots because there would be no rest. But I could be wrong because I have never used one. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
I have a slight problem setting still. I've never tried a saddle so I truly can't knock it. But I can do a review on a summit because that's what I use I have the old model with the fold over foot rest like I said I can't set still too long so my summit I can stand up and turn around stretch whatever I love my climber.....

bcunnin1

Like everyone said, pros and cons. If I hunted private land I'd probably just have fixed stands but I hunt 100% public land. And for that, the saddle is the way to go. They are oddly very comfortable (I find). I'd suggest if you're not comfortable or your legs are getting tired, etc. that you need to adjust your set up. Might just need to move the rope height, some of your straps or try a different platform. Plus my set up weighs less than and isn't as bulky as my climber. I can get up a tree faster and quieter in a saddle. I can also climb almost any tree. I'll never go back.

DMD

When I first started deer hunting I thought I had to choose a style of stand. Now I just hunt out of what makes the most sense. In east tn we have a lot of straight trees that makes a climber make a lot of sense.

I also enjoy hunting friends farms when a ladder stand is already put up, that's pretty cool and feels like I'm VIP

I personally like carrying less than 30lbs on my back for the hikes over 2 mi. My feet are happier. I bought the saddle for those long hikes and after watching an arborist work one day I decided I was done with traditional safety harnesses. So I use a saddle all the time and sometimes with sticks/platform if it fits the situation
I use different methods of hunting also - blinds, ladder stands, etc. But, 95% of the time it's climber. I just can't imagine it being faster and quieter to climb a tree with a saddle and sticks, BUT, I've never done it. I can have my climber on a tree and up a tree quietly in probably 5 minutes. Of course, I've probably done it a thousand times. LOL. I really have no need nor desire to use a saddle. But, I can see them being a great tool in a hunter's arsenal. I hunt different than many people - during the rut, I stay in a tree as long as I have time available. That is usually at least till noon, but I rather sit all day. I've just killed a lot of mature bucks at "oddball" times. I don't think I could sit in a saddle like that. But, I could be wrong. Also, I do a lot of sitting and standing. I stand and lean up against the tree a lot. I'm fidgety and restless. Like I said - I got no beef with any climbing equipment someone uses - everybody is different. I just look at it and it doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm curious - how much does a saddle and climbing sticks weigh?

Polarkraft

I use different methods of hunting also - blinds, ladder stands, etc. But, 95% of the time it's climber. I just can't imagine it being faster and quieter to climb a tree with a saddle and sticks, BUT, I've never done it. I can have my climber on a tree and up a tree quietly in probably 5 minutes. Of course, I've probably done it a thousand times. LOL. I really have no need nor desire to use a saddle. But, I can see them being a great tool in a hunter's arsenal. I hunt different than many people - during the rut, I stay in a tree as long as I have time available. That is usually at least till noon, but I rather sit all day. I've just killed a lot of mature bucks at "oddball" times. I don't think I could sit in a saddle like that. But, I could be wrong. Also, I do a lot of sitting and standing. I stand and lean up against the tree a lot. I'm fidgety and restless. Like I said - I got no beef with any climbing equipment someone uses - everybody is different. I just look at it and it doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm curious - how much does a saddle and climbing sticks weigh?
Half of what my summit weighs. It's a 100% quieter than my summit too

hitek7

I was like you to start but have grown to really like mine. I can get up any tree I wanted and typically quicker and quieter than I can with my climber. And I am only carrying 5 lbs instead of 22 lbs. Makes a huge difference on long walks. I am pretty much always in a position ready to shoot and stay fairly comfortable. So to each his own I guess, I really don't care what anyone else uses.

And by the way, I helped design and develop the Summit cable climbing treestand. I still love it but prefer the saddle in most cases now.

Latest posts