Slip and slide (Tree version)

CliffordN

The ad says $15, come get it… For that price, I briefly considered it. Then I remembered a day long ago when my Baker Pro tried to kill me. I was almost all the way down when I shifted my weight and let go of the tree. Those blades lost their bite and the ride was on. Then it caught and I went over the side and smacked the ground! So, I think I will pass on this deal…

Attachments

• IMG_3456.jpeg
    IMG_3456.jpeg
    459.3 KB · Views: 140

megalomaniac

Been there, done that back in the 80s. I don't even climb a tree anymore. Just don't think it gives me any advantage the way I hunt.

Lost Lake

Oh Lordy, I had a Warren and Sweatt copy of the Baker. That thing would spin around a tree if you stepped on either corner out on the ends. I killed several deer from it, in spite of the pucker factor being so high that I had to pull my pants from my rear every time I stood up.

Donated it to a yard sale and never looked back.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
The ad says $15, come get it… For that price, I briefly considered it. Then I remembered a day long ago when my Baker Pro tried to kill me. I was almost all the way down when I shifted my weight and let go of the tree. Those blades lost their bite and the ride was on. Then it caught and I went over the side and smacked the ground! So, I think I will pass on this deal…
Omg!
The memories…
The scrapes….
The bruises…

Lost Lake

Been there done that. Only place that thing needs to be is hanging in a barn or antique store.
Once I finish a couple of the walls in my shop, I wanted to hang a few nostalgic hunting items on them. Old bows, arrows, and things like that. An old Baker could double as a public safety reminder from years past.

Last edited:

killingtime 41

I had the bottom fall all the way to the ground. Back then I hadn't even heard of a harness or didn't think about it. Nobody had cell phones. I was 15 feet up. Had to hang and try to drop straight down. Wild ride down then got a long stick pushed up on the back of seat to have it hit the ground. Luckily I was young and in my prime. Bounced back up like a wild cat.

archer19

Quick story and 100% true…..
Many decades ago I slept in a baker to kill a deer.
No joke….. couldn't get in early enough without running the deer out in morning.
I went in at 11pm or so at night.
Slept or "uncomfortable " napping rest of the night.
Deer woke me up munching white oak acorns well before daylight even thought about starting!!!! Killed a very nice 6 at bright dawn enough to see a bow sight pin.
I think I was 19 at the time…… much younger, much more ignant, but a lot tougher than now.
Good times!!! That's back when deer were much more scarce here and killing one was a newsworthy event.

TRIGGER

I didn't start hunting until well into my 20's. I found a heck of a deal on a tree stand at a yard sale and used it several times. I joined this site and read several posts similar to this about the baker stands. It was still quite a while before someone actually posted a picture of one and when they did I recognized it and the danger immediately lol