Tree Saddles

hooks

Looking into a tree saddle as a lightweight, mobile way to set up on hunts next year. My initial thoughts are 1) they are a lot higher than what I initially thought they were 2) not sure what the best climbing method(s) are or would be and 3) do they really live up to the hype?

For those that hunt with one or have hunted with one in the past, what are the pros and cons? And do you prefer a tree stand (specifically a lock on or climber) or a tree saddle?

I may have missed the boat on the recent tree saddle hype (they have been around since the 80s I heard), but I have been out of the deer hunting game for four or five years due to work and life in general and am getting back into it next season.

BDS05

I've all but forgot I have a climbing stand in the arsenal this year. I've been using sticks but plan on trying WildEdgde steps and a knaider /swaider setup soon to get lighter...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

philsanchez76

Yes catman has a bunch of awesome vids on saddles and his hunts. Definitely watch them! My first year hunting out of one this year. Killed 2 bucks and 3 does with it all on public. I have one doe kill out of ladder stand on private. The main thing that blows my mind is that my back feels great even after long hours in the saddle! every time I sit in a ladder or lock on (I don't have any experience with a climber), all I can think of is how much my back hurts and how hard it is to stay still. That's the number one pro in my mind. Second major pro is weight savings which equals more mobility (2 pounds saddle vs 10+ for other stands). I used standard length lone wolf sticks as first. Then switched to Bullman Outdoor Silent Approach steps after that. That climbing system only weighs 5 pounds! Super mobile. I can't think of any cons for saddles at the moment. I still occasionally sit in my permanent ladder stand but just wish I was in my saddle the whole time!

thale51

I've been eyeing the Mantis saddle from Tethrd myself. Depending on what sticks/climbing method you choose, you could definitely come out cheaper I think in the long run with multiple setups vs stands. I know the saddle/accessories itself are expensive, but if you get that and several sets of climbing sticks/tree steps, you can have a ton of options as far as what tree to hunt. It'd definitely be cheaper than buying a ton of ladder stands/lock on stands. I think it would be, anyway. I'm still trying to convince myself to pull the trigger on the saddle and try it though.

hooks

The Tethrd Mantis is the one I have been eyballing too along with the Predator platform. That is the only one I know of though. I have been doing my best to find disadvantages of one so far, but I have not found any (never used one though). Have any of you all used climbing spurs?

catman529

If you need a lightweight, mobile way to hunt as you said, they will sure live up to the hype. Best climbing method seems to be a matter of preference. You won't get lighter than Tethrd and it's comfortable too. There's a few good options out there, and a lot of insight to DIY projects and modifications over on Saddlehunter website and on the Facebook groups. You can really tailor your setup to your liking unlike with any treestand. The cheapest setup would probably be the Sit Drag with a rock climbing harness. Whatever you get, always always use the lineman's rope when climbing, and don't unhook it until you're secured into the tether. Some people even use the tether and lineman's belt at the same time while climbing to be extra safe. I just use the lineman's and the Ropeman 1 ascenders to make it quick and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Goodtimekiller

I have 2 trophylines, one lite and one pro, i love hinting out of them, i use sticks with an aider. I think a platform helps a ton. Much lighter and quieter than hauling a stand. The only down sides i see are learning how to use/get used to the aider and developing the climbing system you like best. To me these are pluses as much as down sides because i enjoy trying new things and getting used to the aider doesn't take long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-Tennessean

I have read and watched so many videos on saddles!! Tetherd, Aero Hunter, H2, JX3, trophyline......seem to be the go to brands.
Supposedly there are some new ones being revealed first of the month at the ATA show is kinda what I am waiting on!!

As far as climbing method, the consensus seems to be preset sticks or bolts on private ground or were permitted and muddy pro or helium sticks that have been modified to some degree.

I def want to learn more preferably "hands on" and not just watching videos!! I have met a fella on another forum that lives and hour away from me that has offered to show me what he knows and try everything he has before I buy.

CharlieTN

Hooks, where are you located in TN? Might be able to find someone near you who has a saddle setup you can try.

I switched this year but went the budget route with a custom built sitdrag type of seat paired with a HSS harness I already had for fall safety. As for climbing, I use the Hawk Heliums with a double webbing aider on the bottom and single webbing aiders on the other two sticks. With this setup I can get up to around 18-19'. I use the Silent Approach Ring of Steps and love it.

I don't see myself going back to a climber anytime soon. The saddle is actually more comfortable for me, lighter, more compact, and opens up a whole bunch more trees I can set up in.

hooks

CharlieTN":1ori3rws said:
Hooks, where are you located in TN? Might be able to find someone near you who has a saddle setup you can try.

I switched this year but went the budget route with a custom built sitdrag type of seat paired with a HSS harness I already had for fall safety. As for climbing, I use the Hawk Heliums with a double webbing aider on the bottom and single webbing aiders on the other two sticks. With this setup I can get up to around 18-19'. I use the Silent Approach Ring of Steps and love it.

I don't see myself going back to a climber anytime soon. The saddle is actually more comfortable for me, lighter, more compact, and opens up a whole bunch more trees I can set up in.

I live in the Nashville area, and I am in the southern middle TN area quite often.

fairchaser":1ori3rws said:
Maybe this has been covered, but how do you pee from a saddle? Anybody have a video? :moon:

^ THIS :rotf: . Believe I heard this question asked the other day on one of the Hunting Publics tree saddle videos.

catman529

hooks":2n8qp1kl said:
CharlieTN":2n8qp1kl said:

I live in the Nashville area, and I am in the southern middle TN area quite often.

fairchaser":2n8qp1kl said:
Maybe this has been covered, but how do you pee from a saddle? Anybody have a video? :moon:

^ THIS :rotf: . Believe I heard this question asked the other day on one of the Hunting Publics tree saddle videos.
turn to the side and let er fly! [emoji1]

You can try out my set up some time after season. I'm just south of Nashville

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
This was my first year to hunt out of a saddle. Mine came in right before muzzleloader and I killed a buck my first sit in it. I love it!
Saddle- H2 with leg straps
Climbing method- hawk helium's, treehopper drill and bolts, pre drilled trees with bolts, pre set climbing sticks. I'm going to work on one stick climbing in the off season.
Platform/ring of steps- I have an artisan custom fab platform and a ring of steps using ameristeps. I like both depending on the situation.

Gravey

The more I read the more I want to try it. I've gotten lazy and tend to only go to one of the stands we have set up on our lease. I sat my climber up one Saturday afternoon with plans to hunt it Sunday morning only to wake up to messages that my wife's appendix had ruptured and was in the hospital waiting on surgery. Needless to say I loaded up and hauled butt home.

infoman jr.

I really need to pick one up before next season. I didn't touch my hang and hunt setup this season because the logistics of transporting and hanging the thing are such a hassle. I went to a Tethrd seminar last summer, and their saddles seemed alright.

tree_ghost

I have made 3 DIY saddles so far all based off of production model clones. The saddle is a must have tool for the mobile hunter IMO. In almost every scenario the saddle is a better option than a hang on based on the way I hunt. The one exception is when getting into a tree with a lot of branches the saddle can sometimes be a hinderance. It can be difficult to get the correct position on the backside of the tree due to other limbs being in your way and also because you are spread out into a longer profile by the saddle when compared to a loc-on that you could stay seated in while tucked between a pair of limbs. For me though the biggest advantage I have found in the saddle is the ability to shrink your profile while walking in to the woods. I find myself constantly hunting in the thickest piece of timber available to me. Even with a compact stand it still is not as easy to move quietly through the brush when compared to a saddle that you are wearing around your butt. As far as climbing methods go I have custom sticks w/aiders and my personal favorite which are climbing spikes. When I run my saddle and spikes my total weight is 13lbs and I can go as high as I desire. With my custom sticks the weight is the same but I am limited to 22' or less which is 99% of the time higher than I need to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MettBriler

hooks":3lx0qeko said:
Looking into a tree saddle as a lightweight, mobile way to set up on hunts next year. My initial thoughts are 1) they are a lot higher than what I initially thought they were 2) not sure what the best climbing method(s) are or would be and 3) do they really live up to the hype?

For those that hunt with one or have hunted with one in the past, what are the pros and cons? And do you prefer a tree stand (specifically a lock on or climber) or a tree saddle?

I may have missed the boat on the recent tree saddle hype (they have been around since the 80s I heard), but I have been out of the deer hunting game for four or five years due to work and life in general and am getting back into it next season.

This is my first year ever hunting and I went straight for a saddle and don't feel like I'm missing out on lugging in a climber or hang on stand. The price is pretty close to a nice hang on or climber.
2- climbing methods are pretty much the same as a hang on stand, climbing sticks, WE steps, single stick method, and rope based climbing methods like DRT and SRT.

Pros- your outline walking through brush and in the tree is more streamlined, your saddle is also your safety harness so no excuses for falling out of the tree.
Cons- wait times, none of the saddle companies saw the popularity coming and are working overtime to meet orders and you're not saving any money buying used.

My setup is the H2 slingshot with leg straps, Hawk Helium sticks cut down to 24" and a Ridge Runner platform.

hooks

catman529":3i0bzicy said:
hooks":3i0bzicy said:
CharlieTN":3i0bzicy said:

fairchaser":3i0bzicy said:

turn to the side and let er fly! [emoji1]

You can try out my set up some time after season. I'm just south of Nashville

If I have not got one ordered in the next few days, I might shoot you a PM if I can find some free time! I have been giving the Tethrd website some serious traffic the last couple of days. I am really leaning toward their Mantis because of how light it is. I am a sucker for max weight reduction when it comes to my hunting gear.

Gravey":3i0bzicy said:
The more I read the more I want to try it. I've gotten lazy and tend to only go to one of the stands we have set up on our lease. I sat my climber up one Saturday afternoon with plans to hunt it Sunday morning only to wake up to messages that my wife's appendix had ruptured and was in the hospital waiting on surgery. Needless to say I loaded up and hauled butt home.

That's news you never want to hear! Hope her surgery went well!

Latest posts