Trail Cams

Bone Collector

I have a WGI white flash LED, a WGI IR, and a Primos Black out. I got the first one was a gift and the last two I bought. Of the 3 I like using the WGI IR the best, because It takes good pics, I have a lock for it, and the batteries last longer in it.

That being said, If I had to replace them, I would go with Moultrie, Covert, or Reconyx and go with a blackout cam. Budget was an issue for me when I bought the two cameras, both were on sale.

Hang them up at about 6 feet and wedge a stick in behind them to make them point down. I have had better luck with deer not spooking when doing that.

Vermin93

old_man said:
Also the m-880 runs on 12 volts which makes putting a sealed lead acid unit to the cam with a cable is pretty simple. 12 volt batteries are pretty easy to come by. In cam bats are 8 AAs. In my opinion 12 volt cams are a better option than lower voltage models.

I am also a fan of using SLA's to power my cams whenever possible. I sometimes pair the SLA with a small solar panel so that I never have to worry about battery power.

I have some cams that run on 6V (Covert, WGI) and other cams that run on 12V (Spypoint). I am using SLA's with all of them and they are all working good. I am curious why you believe 12V is a better option than 6V? I'm not seeing any noticeable difference other than the 6V SLA is smaller, which is nice.

BSK

I move cams so frequently I would never consider secondary power sources. Most good trail-cams these days will run for 6 months to a year on a set of lithium AA batteries.

woodsman87

I really would like the Covert black flashes, but man 150 for a camera is just too much. I could buy a nice shotgun or something for just two cameras. Everybody different in what they spend money on though.

Urban_Hunter

woodsman87 said:
I really would like the Covert black flashes, but man 150 for a camera is just too much. I could buy a nice shotgun or something for just two cameras. Everybody different in what they spend money on though.

x2, If they came with an anti-theft guarantee I would be all over it! Of course, this is not feasible so I don't use them any more. Not because I was afraid they would get stolen, but becuase both of mine were stolen. :cry:

hoyt30

I run several cams. Primos, wgi that have worked well. The ir does spook mature deer. Bought a ultra primos blackout it was junk and returned it. I could still see the red glow. Question is can you see the glow on a covert? If not Im gonna buy a few.

BSK

woodsman87 said:

So I guess a $600 Reconyx is out of the question? ;)

woodsman87

BSK said:
woodsman87 said:

I had no idea there were 600 dollar cameras! I thought the 150 dollar ones were the most expensive out there?!
Shows yall how much interest I have in cameras. Very cool and a helpful tool for the whitetail manager. If I ever get the 600$ to buy a camera, I may go buy a new rifle instead. haha.

BSK

woodsman87 said:
BSK said:
woodsman87 said:

I had no idea there were 600 dollar cameras! I thought the 150 dollar ones were the most expensive out there?!
Shows yall how much interest I have in cameras. Very cool and a helpful tool for the whitetail manager. If I ever get the 600$ to buy a camera, I may go buy a new rifle instead. haha.

I good wireless Buckeye cam will run you $1,200.

woodsman87

BSK said:
woodsman87 said:
BSK said:
woodsman87 said:

I good wireless Buckeye cam will run you $1,200.

Never even heard of a Buckeye cam. All I can say is WOW.

BSK

woodsman87 said:
Never even heard of a Buckeye cam. All I can say is WOW.

Buckeye specializes in wireless systems. And by wireless, I don't mean cell-phone cameras. I mean a wireless system that uses FRS radio signals to transmit images to a central server/storage device. You can set these cameras up all over your property, and not only will they all automatically transmit all of their pictures back to a central computer, communication works both ways. You can send a signal to each camera individually and change it's internal settings from the base-station computer. TX ranches use a lot of these systems, but obviously, these are not for the faint of wallet!

old_man

12v vs. 6v - might be like discussing politics or religion. :) I just happen to have easy access to 12v batteries. In the end it is all about amp-hours and how much juice the camera burns regardless of the number of cells. Since the energy the camera uses is really watts, the 12v setups should have a lower current drain. So a 7ah 12v should in theory last longer than a 7ah 6v. Course it is also twice the size. So_ Does it matter? Probably not. I have never done any testing on battery life. I just like the 12s.

BSK

Find a camera that doesn't need a secondary power source. Most of the new cams will run for a year on 8 to 12 lithium AAs.

old_man

Yep lithiums are the way to go but it is all about number of flashes and/or clicks.

I am impressed with the Moultree M880's that I am running. Put a set of el'cheep'o tractor supply AA's in those and they have been running for weeks. I will say that if you run the Moultree "plot-stalker" mode those babies will eat up cheep batteries in less than a month. I do like that plot-stalker mode however. Lots of pics from stuff that might not have tripped the motion detector. 150 yard out etc. Think lithium bats if you are plot-stalking. Or external bats. I had my plot stalker set to take a shot ever 60 second for 3 hours intervals at sun rise and sun set. That means 360 shots per day plus anything that trips the motion. I'm seeing over 400 shots per day on those cams. So battery life is directly related to number of clicks, and number of clicks with flash. So if you only motion detect bats last a long time. If you use plot-stalker your mileage will vary.