Trail Camera Warning

Ski

Good point. Except for me, there are situations in which I am monitoring scrapes with trail cams, but I don't locate stands over the scrape. Usually I am somewhere along the travel corridor to/from the scrape.

I absolutely hunt scrapes. Being a bow hunter, scrapes are perfect. The buck is distracted and staying in one spot for several seconds unalerted to my presence. I can draw and take my time aiming without him noticing. Furthermore I know where my shot will be so no guessing or ranging, and debris can be cleared prior. Most importantly unlike a food source or plot, he will likely be alone so me killing him won't blow out other deer. I've never known mature bucks to consistently travel trails, and often when approaching a scrape they come to it perpendicular to the trail. If I hunt the trail I'd likely miss a lot of the activity. But if I'm at the scrape I'll see it all.

There are no guarantees in bow hunting but I want to tilt those odds my way as much as possible. I've got to be within a few yards for a shot. A cam has to be within a few feet for a catch. Naturally if a spot is good enough to consistently and/or predictably get buck pics then it's a very good spot to hang a bow stand. I'd be foolish to waste batteries watching a spot I wouldn't hunt. The only exemption to that rule is food plots. I don't hunt food plots, but I do monitor them with cameras.

Andy S.

When review trail-camera data, I often find a particular buck I'm interested in is using one part of my property (perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 the property). I will then focus my hunting in that part of the property in an attempt to kill that buck. By trying to pinpoint his exact route and time from cameras? Nope, don't even attempt that. I use my scouting skills and knowledge of how deer use the terrain to go after that buck in a fairly large area (say 150-acre section of the property). Without the cameras, I would not of that particular buck's existence or what section of the property he is using most often, so the cameras absolutely help. But I don't use them to try and pin-point an exact location to hunt him from.
I'd say this is an accurate account of how a lot of hunters use trail cameras to inform them during the season. More of a surveillance tool to know what buck(s) "might be in the area" through out the hunting season. With that said, I do not hunt a single property with enough acreage to "hold" a buck, so any of the mature bucks I capture on camera could be killed anywhere on my property, and anywhere on the neighboring 5-10 tracts. More times than not, the neighbors get him, which makes sense from a "likelihood" point of view (bunch of them, just one of me).

Ski

I haven't had a deer look up at it yet and works great. I don't know if the buck are weary of it but I rarely get bucks.

I've heard stories of bucks being wary of cams but I've not personally noticed it. I'm sure it does happen but not to an extent that it affects my hunting. Aside from one two cruisers that move through the property once, by far and large I see the same bucks over and over year after year as long as they're alive.

In fact I plan my hunts around it. For instance, a buck I was hunting this season I've been getting on cam for 5 years. He first began showing up in winter to feed in my plots and as he matured he took interest in the does and showed up a little earlier. This year he was head honcho and huge so he showed up in October and stayed. I've seen this same pattern play out over and over through the years. They can't sneeze on my place without it being caught on cam, but they always come back.

Ski

I'd say this is an accurate account of how a lot of hunters use trail cameras to inform them during the season. More of a surveillance tool to know what buck(s) "might be in the area" through out the hunting season. With that said, I do not hunt a single property with enough acreage to "hold" a buck, so any of the mature bucks I capture on camera could be killed anywhere on my property, and anywhere on the neighboring 5-10 tracts. More times than not, the neighbors get him, which makes sense from a "likelihood" point of view (bunch of them, just one of me).

That's it right there. It's a numbers game for most of us trying to predict the when and where before someone else does. I do it by picking out repeating patterns of times and places. If a particular camera catches mature buck daylight activity every year in the last few days of October, then I know where I need to be and when, within reason. That's how I use cameras. It's not a guarantee but it's knowledge I'd probably never have had even with a lifetime of scouting.

BSK

That's it right there. It's a numbers game for most of us trying to predict the when and where before someone else does. I do it by picking out repeating patterns of times and places. If a particular camera catches mature buck daylight activity every year in the last few days of October, then I know where I need to be and when, within reason. That's how I use cameras. It's not a guarantee but it's knowledge I'd probably never have had even with a lifetime of scouting.
THIS!

Over the years, I've noticed rut activity starts earlier on the southern end of my property than the northern end. In fact, the two halves actually have slightly different deer populations. Cameras have confirmed this pattern. I now focus my MZ hunting on the southern end and my gun hunting on the northern end. This has proven very successful over the last few years.

I have to say, something is wrong in your camera placement. A camera per 5 acres and you're seeing bucks in person that aren't on camera? I have 500 acres, run 6-8 cams and we almost never see/kill a buck we don't have on cam. And that's over a 21-year timespan.
Maybe something is wrong with your stand placement…. What is you camera coverage percentage? Less the .05 of a percent? Maybe you aren't seeing or getting pictures of bucks you don't know about. Nah, that can't be it.

Ski

THIS!

Over the years, I've noticed rut activity starts earlier on the southern end of my property than the northern end. In fact, the two halves actually have slightly different deer populations. Cameras have confirmed this pattern. I now focus my MZ hunting on the southern end and my gun hunting on the northern end. This has proven very successful over the last few years.

That's exactly the kind of stuff I look for. Not only do activity spikes often repeat on particular time frames, but also with certain weather patterns. I dig deep. There's so much more I glean from trail cams than just seeing deer in a spot. I learn stuff I didn't/couldn't even imagine looking for back before using cams. And I find myself regularly looking back to archived pics because I recognize a new pattern and want to know if it's truly new or something I missed.

For the purpose of in season scouting, cams aren't all that critical for me. I get to see which deer survived and are still around, what their new racks look like, etc. They even help me decide which buck I want to focus my hunts on. But they don't help me hunt him inside that season. For me the real value cams offer is the cumulative. Macro vs micro.

BSK

Maybe something is wrong with your stand placement…. What is you camera coverage percentage? Less the .05 of a percent? Maybe you aren't seeing or getting pictures of bucks you don't know about. Nah, that can't be it.
When you've killed 76 bucks and 73 were previously on cam (96%), especially considering most of those kills fall during the peak of the rut when bucks are most mobile, that's VERY solid statistics you're missing very few bucks with cameras.

It's all about 1) camera quality, and 2) camera placement.

BSK

That's exactly the kind of stuff I look for. Not only do activity spikes often repeat on particular time frames, but also with certain weather patterns. I dig deep. There's so much more I glean from trail cams than just seeing deer in a spot. I learn stuff I didn't/couldn't even imagine looking for back before using cams. And I find myself regularly looking back to archived pics because I recognize a new pattern and want to know if it's truly new or something I missed.

For the purpose of in season scouting, cams aren't all that critical for me. I get to see which deer survived and are still around, what their new racks look like, etc. They even help me decide which buck I want to focus my hunts on. But they don't help me hunt him inside that season. For me the real value cams offer is the cumulative. Macro vs micro.
And that's why I do so much analysis of trail-camera pictures, past and present. I've kept every trail-camera picture I've ever collected, even from back in the film-camera days. I keep a copy of all my clients trail-camera pictures. I have a 5-terabyte portable drive with over 3 million trail-camera pictures on it. These pictures start with my first full-season census in 1999. That's a lot of data to work with. I've learned a ton about deer activity patterns throughout the fall months from reviewing this data. This information certainly makes me a more effective hunter.

Your farm is much bigger than mine, therefore you have cameras over a much larger area to get a better coverage, increasing the chances of getting every buck. Terrain features and food is different, I think would also influence how and how often bucks frequent areas. It just isn't comparable. I think that is the difference. Many I talk to experience the see thing.

kaizen leader

And that's why I do so much analysis of trail-camera pictures, past and present. I've kept every trail-camera picture I've ever collected, even from back in the film-camera days. I keep a copy of all my clients trail-camera pictures. I have a 5-terabyte portable drive with over 3 million trail-camera pictures on it. These pictures start with my first full-season census in 1999. That's a lot of data to work with. I've learned a ton about deer activity patterns throughout the fall months from reviewing this data. This information certainly makes me a more effective hunter.
🤯 Thank you for contributing. Be safe and enjoy life.

Andy S.

When you've killed 76 bucks and 73 were previously on cam (96%), especially considering most of those kills fall during the peak of the rut when bucks are most mobile, that's VERY solid statistics you're missing very few bucks with cameras.

It's all about 1) camera quality, and 2) camera placement.
What is your percentage on client's properties? In particular new clients (< 5 years on said property)?

BSK

Your farm is much bigger than mine, therefore you have cameras over a much larger area to get a better coverage, increasing the chances of getting every buck. Terrain features and food is different, I think would also influence how and how often bucks frequent areas. It just isn't comparable. I think that is the difference. Many I talk to experience the see thing.
When I set up and run the cameras on clients' properties, I get the same results (few if any bucks killed that weren't on camera). It is not site specific. It is strategy specific. You have to realize; I do this for a living. I've been doing it for a living for almost 25 years. You learn a lot in that time-frame.

BSK

What is your percentage on client's properties? In particular new clients (< 5 years on said property)?
The same, IF I run the cameras. It is all about camera placement. However, very few of my clients are willing to pay me to run the cameras. I don't work cheap. Even when I'm NOT running the cameras, but just analyzing the data, a census can cost $3,000-$5,000.

philsanchez76

When I set up and run the cameras on clients' properties, I get the same results (few if any bucks killed that weren't on camera). It is not site specific. It is strategy specific. You have to realize; I do this for a living. I've been doing it for a living for almost 25 years. You learn a lot in that time-frame.
This is super interesting. BSK would you get the same results (96% of all bucks killed have had their picture made already) on a piece of public property or even a highly pressured hunting club or similar? Or are these camera strategies mainly for private lands where your clients carefully control and limit hunting pressure? Just wondering if it's even possible to try to attempt something like this on my public property (seems crazy, but ya never know).

Ski

This is super interesting. BSK would you get the same results (96% of all bucks killed have had their picture made already) on a piece of public property or even a highly pressured hunting club or similar? Or are these camera strategies mainly for private lands where your clients carefully control and limit hunting pressure? Just wondering if it's even possible to try to attempt something like this on my public property (seems crazy, but ya never know).

I'm not BSK but I do have an opinion, albeit a long one 😁

Deer are deer regardless of property lines. Their nature is static. And on public ground a buck doesn't get old and big by being a stranger. He got old because he knows the area, knows where to be and when. The only way to acquire that kind of familiarity is by spending a lifetime in that area. That means yes, you can run a camera program on public land and get the same kind of data as you would on private.

That said, I've never heard of anyone attempting it because fear of theft. Could you imagine hanging a dozen cams on a public tract and leaving them in place for several consecutive years? Pretty risky. However if you did I 100% believe you'd see the exact type of cumulative data you'd get from private ground.

The one exception is that you'd likely have to shift camera locations as the resources and movement patterns change. Public land isn't managed to have static spots like food plots, mock scrapes, water holes, managed bedding areas, etc that dictate movement. On public that stuff is in constant flux so the deer are always adjusting. But the deer aren't leaving. It's the same deer.

I've heard of guys having multiple year hunts for a specific buck on public and have done so myself. That's only possible because the buck lives there, at least periodically.

Think of the clear lottery tank with all the numbered balls. That is a buck's home range and each ball is an individual buck's core. Notice how that core floats all around but is contained within the tank. In my experience that's exactly how it works in the deer woods, regardless if you're on public or private. A buck's core floats around according to his specific needs at the time, whether it be food, does, or safety. They don't recognize property lines or ownership. That's why we see a buck on camera every day for awhile then poof he's gone. Just when we think he must be dead poof he shows back up. It's nothing more than his core bubble floating across our property. And it floats across lots of properties both private and public.

BSK

This is super interesting. BSK would you get the same results (96% of all bucks killed have had their picture made already) on a piece of public property or even a highly pressured hunting club or similar?
A club, yes (most of my clients are clubs). Public land, probably not. Far too much pressure driving bucks all over the place.

Or are these camera strategies mainly for private lands where your clients carefully control and limit hunting pressure? Just wondering if it's even possible to try to attempt something like this on my public property (seems crazy, but ya never know).
I think public would be tough, especially knowing the number of cameras needed and the influence of too many hunters (and possibility of getting cams/cards stolen).

BSK

I think what many on here don't know is that photo censuses are ALL. I. DO. from August 1st until mid-January. That's 7 days a week, and often 16 hours per day. Every day.

My only breaks are when I go hunting myself (I take about 3 weeks to hunt), coming over to TNdeer for a mental break, and maybe a once a day half hour nap to keep my mind from going to mush. And yes, I get scorching headaches from staring at a computer screen for that much time.

So far, I've completed the analysis of 297,000 pictures this year, with more coming in all the time.

Last edited:

Latest posts