Trail cameras ban

Rackseeker

Hope TN does the same, but good luck enforcing that law. Nothing more aggravating to me than a bunch of trail cams on public where I hunt. Most hunters around here think they can claim areas just because they run cameras in that area. Then they name the bucks and get mad because you killed "their" buck that they have been getting pics of for the last 3 yrs. LOL.........

Ski

Hope TN does the same, but good luck enforcing that law. Nothing more aggravating to me than a bunch of trail cams on public where I hunt. Most hunters around here think they can claim areas just because they run cameras in that area. Then they name the bucks and get mad because you killed "their" buck that they have been getting pics of for the last 3 yrs. LOL.........

That's why I wish it would apply to everything. If you carry it in, then carry it out. Anything left unattended is litter. Then nobody can claim any spot they're not actively sitting in. We wouldn't have to have any more arguments about cameras & tree stands on public ground.

megalomaniac

I agree. Although i feel for public land hunters who wont have access to these tools
After 45 miles hiked on public land past 3 weeks, I'm being selfish.... ive seen 3 cell cams, multiple ladder stands, and a baitpile for turkeys on public. Again, just me being selfish, but if it's public, others should have to put the same sweat equity into their season as me. Sure, I could afford to buy 20 cell cams and blanket the national forest ... but doesn't that cheapen the whole experience?

BSK

And I'll bet that is EXACTLY why they are being banned on public land.

Chickencoop96

Well i'll say this, i've never personally had an issue with finding other hunters cams in the woods because the land is PUBLIC mind you. Its kind of expected. I would never want to take away another hunters tools especially when i, myself, use the same tools. Some of us work dang near 24/7 and have no private land access. A trail cam is mighty helpful, but it doesnt garuntee a kill, skill still comes into play.

Atchman2

I wonder if this is to protect the landowners for the "Walk In Hunting" program? There used to be a lot more folks doing that, but now the outfitters and others have closed a lot of hunting land to any access other than by paying. Hunting is getting less and less for the common man.

DMD

I have no problem with that. I'm like some of the others have said - I hate walking in on public land and seeing people's trail cams, blinds, tree stands, etc. left in the woods. It litters the woods. Also, they are left there in some sort of effort to mark their territory. And, at times, they are just left out there to grow into the trees and make a mess. I'd like to see all public land, whatever you carry in, you carry out that day. OR..if it's a short term - 2-3 day hunt, leave it there till the hunt ends, then it leaves. I personally don't mind someone leaving a stand in a spot or a camera in a spot to hunt it on a short term hunt. I don't like when it's left out there they whole season or in some cases, forever.

Reminds me of a lease I was on many years ago. It was bowater land, so 90% of it was basically unhuntable because it was thick pines. The only hardwoods were creek bottoms throughout the property. Some guy on the lease marked every single strip of hardwoods with Surveyor's tape. I asked the President of the lease "why?". He said, "well, he's just marking the spots he hunts so he can find them". I said NO! Because he's marked every strip of hardwoods - how does that help you find anything?? He's marking them so everyone knows he's hunting there and everyone else leave those spots alone. Often, that's what's happening when someone leaves stands, blinds, cameras, etc out on public land. The goal is to keep others away from their spot. I just don't like it. But, that's me.

Huckfin

I disagree with a lot of the comments on this thread, I lost my lease of twenty years, 6 years ago and can only find public to hunt. I would think everyone on here knows how hard it is to find hunting leases (that you can afford) or private land in general to hunt. In the last few years I've never had an encounter where someone tried to "claim" a pieace of public land, every encounter I've had everyone understands first come first serve. I pick up trash as I'm waliking in the woods all the time but if I run across somebodies trail camera I leave it alone, someone bought that with their hard earned money and if someone takes it it's just plain stealing, theirs no other way around it. I've had 2 cameras stonlen on publis and the person that took them is a thief, if you take something that belongs to someone without the consent that's stealing plain and simple.
Just my opinion.

Rackseeker

That's why I wish it would apply to everything. If you carry it in, then carry it out. Anything left unattended is litter. Then nobody can claim any spot they're not actively sitting in. We wouldn't have to have any more arguments about cameras & tree stands on public ground.
Thats the reason I pack my stand in and out each day. For one, I don't want to take a chance on a mature buck smelling or spooking because of my stand hanging at the base of the tree. Second, I don't want someone messing with my stand. I usually don't have much company the areas I hunt anyway.

Latest posts