Trail cameras ban

philsanchez76

Me and my buddies have been hunting our local public for the last 5 seasons now and we see cameras around but never had an issue with them "claiming" spots. Much bigger issue with baiting id say. Making cams illegal is just going to pull game wardens in other directions when they should be focusing on guys who are really cheating.

kaizen leader

Hope TN does the same, but good luck enforcing that law. Nothing more aggravating to me than a bunch of trail cams on public where I hunt. Most hunters around here think they can claim areas just because they run cameras in that area. Then they name the bucks and get mad because you killed "their" buck that they have been getting pics of for the last 3 yrs. LOL.........
I don't have any private land to hunt so I hunt public. I also have a trail cam on public and enjoy watching the pictures I get. If someone hunts the area I'm watching oh well. That's the breaks. It's not my land. I just hope I get a chance too. Good luck yawl.

Buzzard Breath

I've been pretty outspoken and think that anything left on public property is trash. I probably wouldn't have that big of an issue with it if they would require trail cams on public property to be clearly marked on the exterior with the owners identity. If its unmarked, finders keepers. It's required for treestands and I find them all the time and have yet to find one that has a TWRA ID written on it.

knightrider

I've been pretty outspoken and think that anything left on public property is trash. I probably wouldn't have that big of an issue with it if they would require trail cams on public property to be clearly marked on the exterior with the owners identity. If its unmarked, finders keepers. It's required for treestands and I find them all the time and have yet to find one that has a TWRA ID written on it.
Finders keepers 😂 if you didnt buy it its stealing

Ski

Agreed. I'm not a proponent of theft. But if it's required to have identification and doesn't, then I feel a warden has responsibility to remove it. That reg already exists for stands & blinds. Why not cameras?

This entire conversation is interesting. I'm leaning pretty heavily toward "carry in, carry out" but I can see the other side of the argument as well.

Buzzard Breath

Not in my eyes. It's they TWRA makes it a requirement to have your identification on it, and they owner doesn't, it's just picking up trash. There has to be a way to be able to identify what's supposed to be there and what is abandoned property.

BPhunter

Some of your comments on rules and regulations sounds like the way the Communist Democrat Party is taking over the Country. If your name isn't on your property for everyone to see, then I can just take it!! WOW!! Folks it is a camera, not trashing up the place at all! Just because it has a name on it doesn't make it any more or less trash!! If you take it and it's not yours, it is STEALING!! I guess some of you can justify anything just like the REGIME IN CHARGE!!!

Ski

Just because it has a name on it doesn't make it any more or less trash!!

Actually it does. How many tree stands have you seen that were grow into the tree? How many blinds or chairs have you seen that are deteriorating from being left out so long? By having your TWRA info attached, a warden knows exactly who to contact and hold responsible when he/she finds such litter. It's regulated that people placing stands & blinds on public MUST place an identification tag on it. If you do not then you are breaking the law. If you're a criminal then how are you going to point fingers at other criminals?

I have seen cams on public ground that have been there for years & years & years to the point they and the straps are deteriorated. They were clearly abandoned. I myself have forgotten where I put cameras or have found my own cameras years after placing them. It happens. People leave all kinds of trash in the woods, some unintentionally and some quite intentionally. Either way it's litter.

Huckfin

It's pretty easy to tell an abandoned camera and a recently placed cameras, I've never ran across an abandoned one, but Im sure they're out there. If it's just litter your concerned about then remove the abandoned camera and leave the other ones alone. I pick up trash all the time when I'm in the woods but I would never steal somebody eles property.
Just curious with the finders keepers mentality, when you take one do you drop in the trash can on your way out or do you take it home and pull out the SD card and check out whats on it.

Buzzard Breath

There currently are no laws against having trail cams on public land, so I do not take them. But, I know what's on all of them that aren't locked.

20230321_145621.jpg

Buzzard Breath

Thats a dirt bag move, that hopefully you will regret one day when you put your hands on the wrong persons stuff 🙄
Formatting the disk
Stealing the disk
Turning off the camera
Stealing the camera
Vandalizing the camera

These are all dirt bag moves. Looking at someone's pictures and leaving it how I found it. Not a dirt bag move.

I wouldn't mind running into a few of these camera owners anyway. Id love to have a conversation with them about taking my picture without my consent. Especially when I have my juvenile neice and nephews out squirrel hunting.

CrossVolle

Formatting the disk
Stealing the disk
Turning off the camera
Stealing the camera
Vandalizing the camera

These are all dirt bag moves. Looking at someone's pictures and leaving it how I found it. Not a dirt bag move.

I wouldn't mind running into a few of these camera owners anyway. Id love to have a conversation with them about taking my picture without my consent. Especially when I have my juvenile neice and nephews out squirrel hunting.
keenan-snl.gif

knightrider

Formatting the disk
Stealing the disk
Turning off the camera
Stealing the camera
Vandalizing the camera

On your private ground yes you have every right, on public you have no right to put your hands on someone elses stuff, but you justify yourself however you see fit

Huckfin

Formatting the disk
Stealing the disk
Turning off the camera
Stealing the camera
Vandalizing the camera

Not sure if that was tongue and cheek, but I got a good chuckle out of it, because I'm sure you realize every single day you step out into a public place video and pictures are being taken of you and whoever you're with, just got an image of someone walking around with consent forms asking people to sign them.

Can't we all agree that we share the same public hunting grounds and that we should respect each other's property and space, just this last year I researched and scouted a place that was hard to get to and on opening ML, as I was walking up to the that spot another hunter flashed his light at me, I immediately turned around and exited as quietly as possible, yes I was disappointed but I also hoped he killed a big one. Thats the unwritten code on public, first come first served.
For me it's not a competition, it's a brotherhood of people with a common interest, a common desire to experience God's creation and if I get lucky enough to harvest an animal, I'm grateful for it. We live in a country with awesome freedoms that few people on this planet get to experience, yes, we can have disagreements about the small things, but can't we at least have respect for each other and live by that unwritten code among hunters. I know there will always be bad characters in any segment of society, but I joined this forum thinking that these were like-minded people I could interact with and trust, and if I did come in contact with them or if they came across my property, I could trust they would look out for me as I would for them.

BPhunter

Actually it does. How many tree stands have you seen that were grow into the tree? How many blinds or chairs have you seen that are deteriorating from being left out so long? By having your TWRA info attached, a warden knows exactly who to contact and hold responsible when he/she finds such litter. It's regulated that people placing stands & blinds on public MUST place an identification tag on it. If you do not then you are breaking the law. If you're a criminal then how are you going to point fingers at other criminals?

I have seen cams on public ground that have been there for years & years & years to the point they and the straps are deteriorated. They were clearly abandoned. I myself have forgotten where I put cameras or have found my own cameras years after placing them. It happens. People leave all kinds of trash in the woods, some unintentionally and some quite intentionally. Either way it's litter.
Yes whatever....justification is easy....truth is not.

Ski

Yes whatever....justification is easy....truth is not.

I'm not justifying anything. I'm not promoting theft. I'm not against trail cams. I'm not even advocating for any bans. All I'm saying is that IF there is going to a ban, then don't make it cherry picked selective. Do it comprehensively & ban everything that hunters commonly leave out in the woods. And enforce it.

Currently it's only tree stands and blinds that require a TWRA identification tag. When a warden encounters a stand or blind that isn't identified, they are obliged to remove it. If it does have an ID tag on it then the warden contacts the owner so he/she can come get their stuff rather than lose it. Before leaping head first into banning cameras, why not first try mandating that they require ID tags same as stands & blinds? That seems logical, sensible, no? My point is that if you're going to ban cameras being left out on public ground, then ban stands and blinds as well because all of them too often get left out to become litter.

There's no justifying anything, not truth or untruth. It's completely my opinion because it makes sense to me. I don't mind debating it and I'm very much open to considering & even adopting another point of view if I feel it's more sensible. But IMO you can't expect anybody to take you seriously if you get upset & say "whatever" every time somebody disagrees with you.

Latest posts