Trail cam Advice

Pilchard

I just hung a camera at my lease and am pleased with the amount of deer pics coming in. It seems all of the deer pass the camera out in the waist high grass….

I know this area of the farm has some good deer come November when the grass should be less of an issue… but would you recommend I go in with a string trimmer and whack the grass down to get better pics? Or just be happy seeing the tops of their backs when their heads are down?

Sorry for the silly question. I don't want to change things that would change their travel patterns but I also want better pictures. Here's an example of what I'm getting most of the time.

Admittedly this a small deer but is a good reference.

717A6476-9EA7-47E6-8F7B-F6748010DC61.jpeg

TheLBLman

I do a lot strip mowing. You could probably do what you need with a regular yard push mower.

Mow some strips out from your cam in a wagon-wheel type pattern. The deer will cross the strips, exposing themselves better, and will often follow the strips as well (towards your cam).

Also, in grass/weeds such as in your above pic, these mowed strips create biodiversity, and the deer may browse more where you've mowed the strips.

JCDEERMAN

I do a lot strip mowing. You could probably do what you need with a regular yard push mower.

Mow some strips out from your cam in a wagon-wheel type pattern. The deer will cross the strips, exposing themselves better, and will often follow the strips as well (towards your cam).

Also, in grass/weeds such as in your above pic, these mowed strips create biodiversity, and the deer may browse more where you've mowed the strips.
This is what I was thinking while reading the OP. I'd say 2 strips of weed-eat 6' wide would be good from the camera straight out. You'll be able to at least get in the ballpark on age come Sep-Oct given your camera is still at that location.

TheLBLman

You can also, over time, "feather" your strips into much wider strips, by periodically mowing them wider on the edges, but maybe not mowing most of what you last mowed. After you do this about 3 times (maybe over 4 to 8 weeks), you will have a much wider area where the grass/weeds are not as tall, but the deer will continue going thru it, rather than around it. If you simply mow it all down at once in front of your cam, deer will often start going around it, on the far side, out of range of your cam.

Avoid too much activity around the site, as the deer may simply start going around the spot because they see, hear, smell you coming there too often. I wouldn't want to go around there any more often than once every 2 weeks, and make that in the middle of the day. Less is better.

megalomaniac

you want to catch them on the salt itself for the best pics. Is it possible you are getting the first pic as they approach, then your delay is set so long after initial trigger you miss them on the salt and they have moved off before camera becomes active again?

Not worth mowing imo... consider moving salt to the woods where it is more open.

TheLBLman

I have only gotten daytime pictures on this camera. Do you think the deer travel in the open at night and are missing the camera? Or is the camera not picking up the movement as well in the dark given the majority of the deer is covered by the grass?

You can best answer all your questions by adding 2 or 3 more cams.
And, ongoing, it's not necessarily more expensive to run cell cams, particularly if they allow you to visit the location less frequently. They can even cost less due to transportation (gas) cost savings.

Deer are likely traveling more at night in those open fields, where they may be feeding on clover & other young forbes. The tall grass is also a significant factor reducing your ability to get deer pictures otherwise within range.

Placing your cams higher may reduce false triggering (from the wind blowing the grass), but will also reduce your range as to how far away you might get deer pics.

My recommendation is to add 2 or 3 cams, and do a little mowing or weed eating in front of the one in place as well.

TheLBLman

Also, sounds like the deer really aren't hitting your salt much.
Very likely those deer have multiple other long established salt licks they're already in the habit of using. You may get more pics focusing on what they're feeding on at night. Would assume your main purpose is just to see what's using the area, and neither salt nor bait is needed to do this.

On fields, I like to use a field-scan option, whereby might program the cam to simply take pictures, say every 15 minutes during the last hour or two of each day. This does not require a deer to "trigger" the cam, and the added benefit is you may be able to identify large antlered bucks even at 150 yards & greater distances.

Ski

I'd hold off on cutting weeds until fawns have grown enough to run. That looks like prime fawning ground. Not for certain a fawn is in there but it's quite possible.

As for cameras, I would be looking at the points of access where deer enter or leave that little meadow. Adding a cam or two on those locations might allow you to see more without the high grass obstruction.

TheLBLman

I'd hold off on cutting weeds until fawns have grown enough to run.
Generally good advice, especially if using a tractor bushhog or hay mower.
But if all you're using is a regular lawn push-mower to mow a small amount in front of a cam,
you are usually ok. Just be on the lookout for a doe in the vicinity. If you see one, don't mow, as you might not see its fawn.

If you want to be safer, use a weed-eater, and don't cut below leaving stuff @ 10" high.

Pilchard

Generally good advice, especially if using a tractor bushhog or hay mower.
But if all you're using is a regular lawn push-mower to mow a small amount in front of a cam,
you are usually ok. Just be on the lookout for a doe in the vicinity. If you see one, don't mow, as you might not see its fawn.

If you want to be safer, use a weed-eater, and don't cut below leaving stuff @ 10" high.
I'd be using a weed eater. Thanks guys!