Tossing Puppy Poop on the Garden

gil1

I clean up my dog's poop every day in the back yard. Why not just toss it in the garden for free compost/manure? Good or bad idea?

Hogbear

Bad. Dog's can carry lots of parasites that humans can get from contacting their poop becaue that's where the eggs wind up. Wouldn't want it anywhere near my food. Plus it's stinky.

Tree Tramp

Besides all the nasty viruses and parasites that grow in dog poo, dooky that comes from carnivores takes a long time to decay and isnt very good for plant growth. I would stick with dooky from animals that eat plant matter and wouldnt handle dog doo ever if i could keep from it.

basset

don't put any manure straight onto the garden, needs to be composted first to kill bacteria.

(and I know that in much of Asia they fertilize rice fields with fresh "night soil," just dump the chamber pots on the ground... but think of the potential for infection.)

gil1

How dare y'all diss my pup's poop!!! ;)

I guess it wasn't such a grand idea after all. I'm pretty green at all this (no pun intended), so I appreciate the advice.

PC300003e.jpg

catman529

What everyone else said... use herbivore crap like cow, horse, rabbit manure, chicken scat, etc. Heck I have seen more turkey craps than bearded turkeys in the past couple days. I should go pick them up and throw them in the garden :D

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
You can buy composted manure at most garden centers.Every few years I go to the local stockyards and get a few scoops for the garden.At the Paris stockyards they usally have a pile that has been turned and one that's green.

WTM

i compost it but i do not use in the garden. i guess it wouldnt hurt but somehow it just dont seem right for some reason.

but anyhow, i kinda discovered it by accident. i had a dog pen where i had my dogs and everytime i cleaned out the dog pen i would toss it in a pile to the back. kind of a natural compost pile, every year the leaves would fall, the ground ivy would cover it up and die. after a couple of years, its composted really nicely. rich black dirt, and kinda looks like earthworm castings. i use it to fill holes in the yard, for flower beds and herb beds. it must be high in nitrogen, cause i transplanted some sweet mint in it. it has taken off and is really green.

Latest posts