Raised garden beds

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
How much spacing do you give tomatoes in a raised bed garden, my beds are 4x8ft?
4 square feet, I put 8 full sized indertminant plants in a 4 X 8 and I use cattle panels cut to fit the bed and leaned together at the top. Just thread them thru as they grow and back through
I also prune my vines to keep them open and growing.

woodyard

They are looking good! Loading up on blooms and berries. IMG_3438.jpeg

woodyard

I am impressed. Really impressed. Are these last years plants? Mine are not doing well at all. Variety?

If you take a picture of dirt, that's my plants. Not doing well at all.
These were planted in the late fall of 2022. I was kind of afraid they might freeze out that late, but the pinestraw mulch job worked. - 4 degrees in Dec. Chandler is the variety. I have been raising them for several years in rows in the garden.They are not an ever bearer, but some years we have berries from first of May into July until it just gets too hot.
I filled the bed with some good topsoil from my bottom land and mixed in one bale of peat moss in each bed. So far the pinestraw is holding down most of the weeds which the seed and roots should have been plentiful in the bottom soil I got.

I am impressed with these raised beds so far. This may be the way I garden in the future since we are on our way to downsizing and moving in the next year or so. I would build more but the future owners might not be gardeners.
By the way this is treated lumber that was getting in bad shape on our deck that I rebuilt. Not really ground contact material but the double wall may work for a few years.

Latest posts