Garden turned

Acorn

F016EF9F-C9EE-4F85-B34F-1F412C620DC4.jpeg
I got the garden turned today. Hoping to get a few frosts on it.

Carlos

I need to get ours turned. The front helps break-up the soil, making it easier to work later, when its time to run the tiller.

Acorn

Whatcha planting? I need to do some prep work on mine
Tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, corn, okra, peppers, eggplant and I think I'm going to put out some bush beans this year. Still a while til planting time. Just getting the ground ready now will make it easier on you down the road.

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

Tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, corn, okra, peppers and I think I'm going to put out some bush beans this year. Still a while til planting time. Just getting the ground ready now will make it easier on you down the road.
Do you plant seeds or buy the plants? The last 2 years I've planted from seeds. The only thing I couldn't get going from seeds are peppers. I've had to buy the plants. I struggle with them.

Carlos

Do you plant seeds or buy the plants? The last 2 years I've planted from seeds. The only thing I couldn't get going from seeds are peppers. I've had to buy the plants. I struggle with them.
Yes, and buying the plants is expensive. My wife's got quite a few seeds started in the house, hopefully they'll make it once set out.

backyardtndeer

Looks good. Once it dries up a bit, I will cut in several buckets of manure and run the tiller through ours.
I've never done well with tomato and peppers from seeds.

Im sure there is a good reason.
I get tons of volunteer plants in my garden every year, but I too have never had much luck growing seeds to plants.

My wife wants me to build a greenhouse. Something else for me to mow around.🙄

DaveB

I have pretty good success with plants from seed.

I intensely dislike starting in a container and then transplanting. In younger years I ran my own tests. Planted seed in gardem-nice and rich, proven garden soil, buried drip lines versus 2 inch on side containers in plastic tray on metal shelves covered in clear plastic sheeting and heated with grow lights.

Indoors: sprouted first. Second pair of leaves first. 4 inch tall first then placed in same garden. 8 inch tall second. Second for flowers. second for fruit set. second for fruit size and flavor.

If you buy the potted/sprouted 8 inch tall or slightly smaller look at the root ball, Root growth is stunted because the nutrients needed are not available and you cannot overcome that initial deficiency. The best results are when the roots can grow in search of nutrients and water. Its why I prep my garden in Fall for Spring. I lay down the nutrients and through water and time allow the nutrients to become a part of the soil.

I stood in Kroger last week staring at the price of a green zucchini (1.65 each). I used to trash fruit that looked so sad. And Z-boys grow easy of you can prevent the moth mothers. Only from seed tho...never had a potted one fruit.

Latest posts