Raised garden beds

Coop87

I'm going to be building some this weekend for the kids to use as they have expressed interest. It helps to provide a way for water to drain (till ground underneath or add layer of rock) If it's not pressure treated wood you could spray some flex seal or use oil based stain. Make sure to leave plenty of space when planting. We didn't last year and affected plants health. I'm planning on using those concrete wall block planters from HD with some 2x6s and fab up some sort of trellis for one. After our 3 week old lab dug up our mint plant the other day I'm now considering doubling the height haha

hillbillyfab

We've got a few of those galvanized tubs. My wife drug then home a a few years back. I'm can tell you, I was against them right off the bat. I grew up breaking ground with a bottom plow, planting way too big a garden and slowly losing it to weeds and such. Let me tell you I'm a fan of raised beds now. Lots easier to maintain and have plants that produce lots more than I thought they could. I'll be building more raised beds moving forward.

TnTurk

This is one of the potato boxes I built out of old crates. I removed some more of the end boards to allow more sunlight in. I will screw them back on as the plants grow and I add more straw and compost around the potatoes. I also use smaller ones to put peppers and onions in a well.

Attachments

• 20230306_160224.jpg
    20230306_160224.jpg
    638.5 KB · Views: 27

DoubleRidge

View attachment 174498View attachment 174500View attachment 174502
I will never go back to in the ground gardening. I get 10X the produce with 90% less work.
I love gardens in raised beds.
Very Nice! I purchased the lumber to build raised beds last weekend. We are starting with four 4x8 raised beds.....I do have a question about your gravel.....what size stone did you use? Did you lay geotech fabric under the gravel? And lastly did you gravel the entire area before building your beds? Sorry to ask so many questions....but your design is similar to what we're planning to do....appreciate any pointers.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Thanks
Level and tamp area
Cover with heavy duty geo textile fabric
Place beds and fill with dirt
Cover isles with #8 chips

Make absolute your lumber is graded for contact with soil like yellow wood, it will last a lot longer
(Lowe's does not carry this kind of lumber)

Line your box inside walls with plastic to reduce evaporation thru wood and cracks
Leave bottom open to geo fab
Plumb in a frost free faucet at the corner you approach most common.
Leave a space for a small patio table and chair
Get a rainfall nozzle

DoubleRidge

Thanks
Level and tamp area

Make absolute your lumber is graded for contact with soil like yellow wood, it will last a lot longer

Line your box inside walls with plastic to reduce evaporation thru wood and cracks
Get a rainfall nozzle
Perfect! Exactly the type of information I was looking for!! Thanks!!

DoubleRidge

Thanks
Level and tamp area

Get a rainfall nozzle
One more question...for the dirt in your beds...did you purchase bag soil? Or collect some bottom land top soil? Or some combination? I ask because we have horses and I have a larger quantity of older composted horse manure....not hot....but not sure what ratio to blend in with the soil? I've disk it in the ground garden before along with chicken litter.....but in raised beds I wasn't sure of the ratios and want to get started on right foot....thanks again for the input.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Thanks
Level and tamp area

(Lowe's does not carry this kind of lumber

Get a rainfall nozzle
Damn dude.
That is awesome!
Like the table in the middle.
I could see myself kickin back sippin on a beer watching my plants grow.
The bean trellis is cool!
Thanks! I do exactly that. The cattle panel trellis is for almost everything. Peppers, tomatoes, brussel sprouts all need support they get so big in these beds.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
One more question...for the dirt in your beds...did you purchase bag soil? Or collect some bottom land top soil? Or some combination? I ask because we have horses and I have a larger quantity of older composted horse manure....not hot....but not sure what ratio to blend in with the soil? I've disk it in the ground garden before along with chicken litter.....but in raised beds I wasn't sure of the ratios and want to get started on right foot....thanks again for the input.
I blended compost 20%, clay 15%, good topsoil 50% and humus mulch compost blend15%. The horse litter if composted is good but if not will have a lot of grass seed. Each year I top my beds with peat moss. It retards weeds, discourages bugs, insulates the soil and decays into stuff plants love.

DoubleRidge

I blended compost 20%, clay 15%, good topsoil 50% and humus mulch compost blend15%. The horse litter if composted is good but if not will have a lot of grass seed. Each year I top my beds with peat moss. It retards weeds, discourages bugs, insulates the soil and decays into stuff plants love.
Thanks again!....appreciate the information!

Latest posts