Starting seeds for fall garden?

DoubleRidge

May be a long shot....but curious if any of you guys start your fall garden seeds indoors? If so what size trays or containers do you use? I've started my summer garden seed on our front porch in a wide variety of pots, random trays and containers...and on the porch im not worried as much about making a mess...But with the late summer heat im hoping to start some cabbage, lettuce, cauliflower, and broccoli indoors and I see different trays, different sizes...so many options....just curious what works best for managing seed starts indoors....thanks.

Omega

I use a germination station similar to the one below for my seeds, though only spring planting for me. But it works great and relatively clean if done right, the good part is you can control the light and temp so you can start them anytime. I added a timer to the kit so I could set the time the lights went on and off.
1689786537157.png

DoubleRidge

I use a germination station similar to the one below for my seeds, though only spring planting for me. But it works great and relatively clean if done right, the good part is you can control the light and temp so you can start them anytime. I added a timer to the kit so I could set the time the lights went on and off.
View attachment 186797
Thanks! I like the tray with the dome top...That looks like a really nice system.

Omega

Thanks! I like the tray with the dome top...That looks like a really nice system.
Yea, the top is nice, it has two vents, I use one for the thermocouple for the heating mat. It gets rainforesty in there but I have to take the top off after a bit because I got the tall lid, and if I don't almost touch the plants with the light after they sprout, they get real leggy. Not a great issue as you can plant deeper but I like for them to be a bit more stubby. I got the sectioned trays, but you can also just use those peat pots it shows in there, they both work great.

DoubleRidge

Yea, the top is nice, it has two vents, I use one for the thermocouple for the heating mat. It gets rainforesty in there but I have to take the top off after a bit because I got the tall lid, and if I don't almost touch the plants with the light after they sprout, they get real leggy. Not a great issue as you can plant deeper but I like for them to be a bit more stubby. I got the sectioned trays, but you can also just use those peat pots it shows in there, they both work great.
Good info....thanks!

Omega

I direct sow fall gardens but you can reduce that "leggy" problem by putting a fan on the seedlings and lowering the temp some.
I'll try the fan, but I have tried the temp part. I found that lowering the light helps but have to keep an eye on the faster growing plants so they don't make contact.

DoubleRidge

I direct sow fall gardens but you can reduce that "leggy" problem by putting a fan on the seedlings and lowering the temp some.
I will direct sow raddish and carrot....but for lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli i was hoping to get a head start indoors where its a little cooler....But the main reason is that we currently only have four raised beds and they are full of cucumber, zucchini, squash, okra and tomatoe...hoping to time it out where as the summer crop slows down, or stops producing, that i can pull summer plants out and go in with the fall starts....with the hope being the fall crop be close to mature by first frost....never done a fall garden before...so just trying to time everything out right.

DoubleRidge

This time of year I start them outside partial shade in big pot
Some day I'd like to have an indoor set up for seed starts...but for now I went with the porch for our fall starts. Also in the future I'm hoping to get some more organized starter trays...this year we just used what we had on hand. Starter mix is compost, peat moss and perlite. Went with cabbage, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, parris island lettuce, romaine lettuce and mixed green lettuce...also started one replacement squash...we'll see...as summer crops come out of the raised beds hoping to transplant fall starts listed. Also planning to direct seed radish and carrots soon.

20230802_113147.jpg

DaveB

My experience with fall crops is 100% bad. My Broccoli went to seed with just one day of 78 degree sunshine. Ever seen lettuce bolt? Actually kind of a good learning thing. I did not know carrots would bolt. Or radishes for that matter.

direct sow maybe late September, depends upon your elevation and overnight chill temp. You need direct sunshine to sprout shade to keep growth under control, and cool temps or the plant will bolt and you cannot stop that once it has begun.

Onions are okay be sure you get short day seeds, I think that is what they are called. Get a single pack of long day and plant hem a good distance from the short day. Sets are not good although I use them for spring onion purposes. For onions, seeds. and the seeds are tiny. watch the wind.

DoubleRidge

Update on fall seed starts. The paris and romaine lettuce is doing great but something got in the cabbage and cauliflower starts and ate all the leaves....so we've started more from seed in another raised bed and they are up...not sure there is time for them to make anything of any size? but well see.....also have raddish growing good in another bed.....but no doubt the lettuce is loving these cool mornings.
20230918_073257.jpg

Latest posts