Tomato seedlings on track....

Wobblyshot1

For an early May planting. I'm trying to cut back as I only started one tray of 72 plants/9 varieties all heirlooms.
PXL_20230415_144121743.jpg

Chapman

Nice plants. I've grown my own, but never could get them as nice as the ones I could buy. I needed a better light setup. I really like to have well started plants when it's time to plant to get a lot of growth and fruit before the high temperatures hit and slow everything down. Trouble is you have to buy what they offer, not necessarily what you want. I'm able to buy Cherokee Purple and Celebrity which I like to grow mostly.

DaveB

My daughter gave me an aero garden. The selection they provide is not what I like so I bought some stuff on my own. I get a second set of leaves and out they come into a peat container and into this thing in my front room (eastern exposure) that we move as the sun moves. Slower for sure but because the aerogarden uses miracle grow as the fertilizer the plants get a good start.

Just put 4 in the raised bed Friday past. They handled the wind, rain, and big temp drop very well and yes, I was thinking they were gonners.

I had a wire shelf thing on wheels I wrapped in plastic and used a flourescent light. Some grew quick, others not so good.

JCDEERMAN

I used to plant and grow under grow lights and nurture them. I've moved to just planting when it gets warm into Dixie cups. Works just fine. I plant everything from seed, except for peppers. Can't get them going from seed. I'll buy the plants.

Okra, I can't ever find seeds for them. I buy the plants for them also

Wobblyshot1

I built that table years ago out of scape lumber. It had a top and bottom shelf with broad spectrum fluorescent lights that I could adjust the height. The trick is to keep the lights just off the top of the plants. Also use heat mats with a thermostat to keep the temps right. A lot of what I read calls for six weeks from sowing to planting in your garden....it takes a few day to harden off. I've since come to believe that five weeks is plenty. Seems to me much longer than this and they start to get leggy.

The 72 cell inserts for the trays are kinda small and I'm going to move them to dixie type cups in a few days. I generally prefer 48 or 36 cell but the 72 was all I had.

Wobblyshot1

The 6 oz paper cups I ordered from Amazon came in yesterday so I repotted them. I was going to start the hardening off process as well but with the cold temps predicted this weekend I'm going to hold off till next week.

Attachments

• PXL_20230420_165431964.jpg
    PXL_20230420_165431964.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 36

DaveB

I'm looking at the plants in my raised bed and wondering if I have just wasted a lot of effort with a cold evening predicted and soon.

I may make a blue tarp tent and hang two 100 watt light bulbs.

yes, I stocked up on the glass ones about 5 years ago. No I do not share them. check the dollar-type stores.

I have sprouted watermelon & cantaloupe. Will bring them inside.

TNTreeman

I used to plant and grow under grow lights and nurture them. I've moved to just planting when it gets warm into Dixie cups. Works just fine. I plant everything from seed, except for peppers. Can't get them going from seed. I'll buy the plants.

Okra, I can't ever find seeds for them. I buy the plants for them also
I've got a ton of Okra seeds if you are ever my way they are yours.

DaveB

Well, appears as if the cold weather did not hurt my veggies.

However, killed two of 5 watermelon's. Shed a few tears over that. Already up to second set of leaves.

Have already got 5 more melon seeds in 8 inch pots indoors.

Latest posts