Tomato help for next year

chimneyman

I've got 10 raised beds each 3x10 for the last 6 years I've used the same 3 beds for my tomatoes. Knowing I shouldn't do that This year with the drought my tomatoes are doing really bad. Even with frequent watering Next year I'm going to use 3 different beds and change things up. But what could I do this fall and winter to bring these beds back

WTM

if the leaves are curling up on themselves then its physiological leaf roll its not the soil but heat, drought, overwatering, underwatering, too much nitrogen and not enough phos, etc. too little water or too much water are usually the culprits. tomatoes need well drained soil and even watering theough the week. water saturated soil is bad.

soil born fungus and bacteria ailments cause yellowing with spots or solid yellowing and root rot starting at the bottom and working up. if leaves are curled down then its viral but usually caused by high weed growth.

WTM

this is physiological leaf curl on one of my plants. i have two side by side suffering from it while 15 or so other plants are thriving.

IMG_1346.jpeg

this is why. no matter how much it rains the soil around these two plants is always dry. these bradford pears are the bane of my garden and will be coming down this fall. the feeder roots enxtend into part of my garden and suck all the water and nutrients out of that area.

IMG_1347.jpeg

DaveB

What I like to do is immediately following fall harvest or whenever a garden area is done for the year.
1. Lime it hard.
2. 13-13-13 granular and hard. I have used cow manure twice. no growing or other issues except complaints from neighbors and some strange weeds.
3. till in 1 & 2
4. One week prior to seeds or transplanting spray on two successive days the Miracle-Gro or equivalent garden food.
5. I like to till again and create hills 1 day prior to planting.

Admittedly, this was what I did in my 12 x 30 garden of topsoil (20 sq yds) from a dairy farm. Yes, the dirt was about two feet thick. I also used subterranean drip watering. It is a huge pain since you must remove it before tilling. In California the water bill was my largest utility bill, larger than gas and electricity combined.

Latest posts