Tomato help

Cache

2-Step Enabled
Up until a few days ago I had the best looking tomato plants I've ever had. Now 3 of them have yellow leaves with brown spots. Any ideas? Quick google brought up Septoria leaf spot but I'm not sure it's that or I'm overwatering…
F140481A-3BEF-4F92-82E7-76777BB05AEA.jpeg
4725AD7B-C212-4C1E-B888-0B8089491276.jpeg
C5232E42-0D8D-4B5F-9D62-01429CFB6B3B.jpeg

Last edited:

Chapman

Not overwatering, some type of disease I think, not sure which one. I would research it and see if there is a fungicide recommended. It does look like Septoria to me when I searched for pictures.

Last edited:

WTM

more than likely bacterial spot. you can tell by thenyellow halos around the spot and drying up and tearing of the spot.

copper fungicide will kill both fungus and bacterial infections. some fungicide only kills fungus diseases.

tomatoes need consistent watering below the leaves and mulching. watering from above, high humidity and heavy rainfall cause most of tomato diseases. never compost and never leave prunings in the garden or dying plants, and rotate every year to different planting spots. it all goes in the trash.

Cache

2-Step Enabled
more than likely bacterial spot. you can tell by thenyellow halos around the spot and drying up and tearing of the spot.

copper fungicide will kill both fungus and bacterial infections. some fungicide only kills fungus diseases.

tomatoes need consistent watering below the leaves and mulching. watering from above, high humidity and heavy rainfall cause most of tomato diseases. never compost and never leave prunings in the garden or dying plants, and rotate every year to different planting spots. it all goes in the trash.
Thanks! I went ahead and removed all the discolored leaves and will spray with a copper fungicide tomorrow when they dry up from the rain.
This is my 4th attempt at tomatoes. I researched everything I could to fix what I was doing wrong. Best looking plants I've had and now this. Hopefully I caught it early enough.

WTM

Thanks! I went ahead and removed all the discolored leaves and will spray with a copper fungicide tomorrow when they dry up from the rain.
This is my 4th attempt at tomatoes. I researched everything I could to fix what I was doing wrong. Best looking plants I've had and now this. Hopefully I caught it early enough.
which variety did you plant?

Wobblyshot1

This may help you to identify and treat. I grow mainly heirlooms so in spite of my best efforts they usually succumb to some disease before the end of the season. I ask a farmer who sells them at market and usually has them right up to the end how he does it. He says he just keeps planting them every few weeks and he will always have healthy plants throughout the growing season.

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
Epsom Salt(magnesium sulfate) will take care of a lot of diseases in tomatoes.

If you want to use something that is a little more aggressive in cleaning up overall plant health there is a fungicide called Rally. It is just a good overall plant health tool when diseases show up in vegetable crops.

WTM

i use 3 crushed aspirin in a spray bottle solution for fungal blight and neem oil solution when aphids show up.

if you cant see horn worms very well, get a cheap ultra violet flash light and check them at night. itll make the worms glow.

DaveB

Cache-You probably need to keep track of what you have planted but I must admit to liking the "what did I plant here" questions later on.

Watering on top spreads problems from leaf to leaf and if possible you need to avoid. One thing I have found is it is impossible to have too much sun for tomatoes. So direct sun, watering at ground level instead of sprinkling on top, rotate physical locations, and clean up everything as you go.

I also believe in soil preparation. Quite a bit of natural fertilizer if you can find it otherwise 13-13-13 in heavy doses in early October to get ready for next year. Be sure you test soil for correct Ph level and add Lime. Till it in.....repeat After Thanksgiving Day.

I am always amazed at what the no-till folks accomplish. I understand the need but my results are actually not so good

I have a daughter who is hyper-allergic to Epsom Salt so I cannot use that

Cache

2-Step Enabled
Thanks Dave. I've got them in 30 gallon grow bags. I did a mix of organic raised bed soil, compost, manure, with some fertilizer. I've been pretty good about watering the soil. From what I can tell this popped up after a rain so next year I'll be adding mulch on top.
It's been a few years since I did a garden for this very reason. I put a lot of time and effort into it and something always seem to happen.
I sprayed them this morning with the copper fungicide so hopefully I will see some improvement in the next few days.

Another question. How often do you guys fertilize your tomatoes? I mixed a organic fertilizer into the soil at planting a month ago and I'm wondering if it's time to put some more down.

WTM

when i plant them i put a small handful of rock phosphate into the hole . then about a week later ild add some fish emulsion into the watering. after that i use tomato tone or organic vegetable tone when flowering starts. this has calcium, magnesium and other trace minerals with the good "micro organisms" added. it helps with calcium uptake.

watch the nitrogen, nothing over 5. too much nitrogen and theyll grow more leaves than tomatoes, reduce calcium uptake that ends up in blossom end rot. if you have good compost youll be better of to wait until fruit set to start adding any fertilizer.

another thing is blossom drop. youll get tons of advice on why they are dropping blossoms and add this and that to the soil. the main reason for blossom drop is high heat or humidity. theyll drop blossoms when the day temps is much above 90 and the night temps is above 72. sunshades to block the afternoon sun will help. i use a 25 percent shade cloth vertically. it helps drop the temps around the tomatoes a bit.