tomato suckers

WTM

i hear this all the time, "you need to prune those suckers because they produce no fruit and suck energy out of the plant" pretty much incorrect but you do need to prune a few to keep the plant ventilated and to keep disease down. i prune the first five or so up to the first bloom set and ill also prune the first bloom set to promote more growth.

this is a sucker, in fruit trees they are called water sprouts. they usually grow from plants thatbwere started from cuttings.

44104CBB-0BFA-4B68-9BE0-21C64E8E8B04.jpeg

these are what most folks call suckers. its actually botanically a branch that shoots from between the main stalk and a sun leaf stem. it is a direct replica of the main stalk and will produce tomatoes and the cutting can be used to sprout a whole new plant.

F48ECBC2-9568-4D70-A261-2AEFCE3FF6F3.jpeg

so be smart on how you prune your tomatoes.

Omega

Just staked out my garden, cucumbers, maters, and jalapenos. I cut all the leaves/branches off the bottom 4"-6" and the plants respond pretty well. I have a couple like the second one you show, how would you clone them, cut and replant or???

WTM

place a few in a glass of water outside out of direct sunlight. theyll root in a week or so and then you plant them in cups with potting soil and grow them another six inches. then transplant into the garden. those little hairs on a plant is a potential root. when i do my first transplants i will remove all the bottom leaves two thirds up the plant and plant them that deep. the stalk will turn into a deep root ball and youll have healthier plants.

Last edited:

Mud Creek

On a side note I'm also doing the "Florida weave" method for trellising my tomatoes. It's my first year doing it and I wish I had done it sooner. I did have some birds mess one of my rows up by perching on it though. I will definitely be doing it this way from here on out.

WTM

On a side note I'm also doing the "Florida weave" method for trellising my tomatoes. It's my first year doing it and I wish I had done it sooner. I did have some birds mess one of my rows up by perching on it though. I will definitely be doing it this way from here on out.
yeah but make sure you use nylon twine. jute twine will breakdown and your tomatoes will break. i learned that the hard way.

Mud Creek

Yes! The 2 that are down are jute string. Garbage!! The aimish guy who I saw trellis his with the weave uses the plastic coated twine thats what I'm switching to. I thought for sure that would rub against plant or break it in a windy day but his are holding up great so I'm trying it.

Also considered using clothes line but wasn't sure how it would hold up or if it would mess with the plants

WTM

Yes! The 2 that are down are jute string. Garbage!! The aimish guy who I saw trellis his with the weave uses the plastic coated twine thats what I'm switching to. I thought for sure that would rub against plant or break it in a windy day but his are holding up great so I'm trying it.

Also considered using clothes line but wasn't sure how it would hold up or if it would mess with the plants
i just use the cheap nylon twine from walmart. maybe 1.50 a roll. the key is when you run it, pull it as tight as you can and make two wraps around the pole then back the other direction and do the same before tying it off.

also pay attention to the sun leaves and make sure they are in a natural position. these are the chlorophyll producers and shade the tomatoes.

i space mine about this much. about 6-8" per run.

8C6DA4D7-C4A4-4C86-81FF-617177237AB9.jpeg

Latest posts