Food Plots to plant or not to plant

PickettSFHunter

Im 80% done and have some decent looking plots, Im debating on finishing the rest...just winter wheat. I believe I may go for it Wednesday just to have it all done. Crappy Late Summer for food plots for sure. I do have one acre on my Dad's sandy soil farm that will probably need replanting as well.

Boll Weevil

This past weekend I just chose to lime and prep soil at my last spot...just too darn dry to plant where I'm at. Will have to get it in the next few weeks I guess.

tellico4x4

Planted the remaning 11 plots on Saturday. Soil mositure was perfect, and if it had been any wetter we could not have worked ground. That makes 39 plots we've done since August 10. Now to get caught up on mowing...

BSK

Wheat I broadcast a few weeks ago (just before it turned dry) ended up feed more crows and doves than deer. :mad:

I'm going to try broadcasting a BUNCH of crimson clover late this week IF it still looks at the time like a good rain is forecast for Saturday.

BSK

Looks like I'm going to broadcast a heavy dose of crimson on Friday, but considering how dry October is looking, I think my food plots are going to be a total failure this year. I just hope the acorns are as good as expected.

Hunter 257W

I planted 7 plots Aug 30 and got a couple of nice little showers Sept 1&2 but they just aren't coming up as anticipated. I'm thinking of broadcasting a few seeds over two or three of them Friday since I still have bare loose dirt and there seems to be a real chance of rain Saturday. I was really wanting something green to be growing besides my one alfalfa field after the acorns run out this Winter.

RiverRat213

Friday nighter here just in case the rain beats me up Saturday morning. Did a little discing till dark tonight will hit it again tomorrow and try to finish up prep work. Who knows might just sow seed in the rain Saturday.

Bayou Buck

Looks like most of the rain will be through by Saturday morning and then dry for a few days. Tomorrow looks like a good day to seed.

Latest posts