To pee, or not to pee?

T. J. Mercer

Best/biggest muzzy buck (a nice 8-pt) I killed came walking by at 15 yds as the last few drips were hitting the leaves far below.
It was very difficult getting my muzzy off the hook and shooting the "wrong" direction (he proceeded to my right, I was peeing to my left) across myself while trying to stay still in such a disheveled state.

BSK

I once had an owl land about a foot from my head, pre-dawn, as I was sitting in a tree, waiting on light.

I "thought" I "heard" something near my head, like a small wisp of air, but it was unbelievably "quiet" for such a large bird. Just had this eerie feeling that something was in the tree with me, but no idea what, not sure I had heard anything. Maybe it was just a falling leaf.

Then it squalled out a loud "WHOOOOOOOOO-AHHHH"! --- Right about a foot from my right ear!
THAT scared the piss out of me!
As before it "WHOO-AHHED", I just had this eerie feeling.
Years ago, we had one of only 19 mated pairs of Bald Eagles in the state nesting on our property. It was a lot of fun to see them flying around. However, one morning one of the pair landed in branch about 6 feet from me. Truly an amazing animal to see close up, but I hadn't realized how BIG those birds are until that moment. The way that eagle was looking me over kind of gave me the creeps. I realized those massive talons could rip my face off!

Last edited:

Headhunter

couple of my better bow killed bucks, for sure came to peeing. One was dead downwind of me, I know you can't hunt where the wind blows to where the deer will approach from but I did not even pay attention that evening, and just as I zipped up. I looked behind me and he had his nose up, trying to figure out what he was smelling, the wind was blowing directly to him. I thought for sure he would bolt. He walked to my tree, smelled where I peed and started easing off. I shot him and he took about 8 steps and fell over. Dressed 164 lbs and grossed 137", 14 ptr. That tree was a good one, and it was bulldozed recently.

Killed several that stuck their noses in scrapes that I peed in, including the nice buck in KY last year in gun season.

Duck dogn

Killed my biggest buck to date just after peeing off the stand and I did it last sat within 45 min gad a doe within 10 ft of my stand but I also use nose jammer

BSK

That's an old myth , when air hits urine it turns to ammonia. They just smell pee from something.
Just remember that urine carries many chemicals, including hormones and pheromones. Animals can pick up much more than just urine when they smell where another animal has urinated.

iowavf

I have a nice plastic pipe with funnel at top that runs down the side of my blind and dumps out about a foot away. I've had deer walk by and smell it and keep right on going. Been peeing with deer less than 25 yards away and didn't even phase them.

JCDEERMAN

Do y'all think Miller Light from the night before would spook a buck? Occasionally makes me want to rut. Wonder would it have the same effect on a big buck?
I know a lot of bourbon and Coke from the night before doesn't bother them. That's what I drink on weekends at our cabin. I pee in as many scrapes as I can

Mag

2-Step Enabled
My Wife is jealous when I stand up in the buddy stand to take a whiz.

mike52

Had a young fork horn come under my climber about pee time. Pissed all over his head, never could figure out where it was coming from, just smelled all the new piss.

woodsman04

I enjoy peeing in scrapes. I even flex my chest and shoulders and act like I'm the dominant buck.
But, I have wondered if my early morning pissing has a negative effect, because my pee usually smells strong of coffee early in the day .

Swampster

A lady about six miles from me says she drinks coffee, beer, smokes, pisses from / in the stand all the time and sees all kinds of deer. She hunts from a 4 X 8 box stand with good prospects from multiple angles. Says she just hunts the direction that the wind gives her and says screw it for any downwind prospects.

Cheshire

How many of you guys pee from your stand or blind?
Though the years that I've been hunting, I haven't seen much difference between peeing or not peeing.
I now hunt from a ground blind and was wondering that while sitting in the bind.
One of these years I am going to make two mock scrapes. One with doe pee and one with my pee and see which gets the most action

Latest posts